28.1 Gate 10- Hunt High and Low

"Explain the rules again," I said, in a most casual tone.

It was a beautiful morning, with rays oddly bright and rainbows sparkling more than it had the day before. Numerous peacocks and rabbits had grouped themselves settling all over the distinct islands. They seemed to have recognized the existence of Vrishabha way early this morning and so surprisingly stayed close to the proximity.

"I remember telling you everything yesterday," Vrishabha said, her voice stubborn and commanding.

"I want to be familiarized with them again, in detail. It's not against the rules, is it?" I said, my extremely laid back attitude surprised me.

"Alright," said Vrishabha, and then slightly sighed. "This game is called tug of war, where we pull each other using the rope. We stand on either side of the waterfall and the one who lands in the middle of the stream of water loses. Also..."

"Hold it," I interrupted, "One of us must land in the water, right?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?" I asked, immediately, "Or do you want to add anything to it?"

"No, one must land in the water, that is it," she answered and gave a quick smile.

"Okay, please continue."

"The game begins only when you are ready."

"So just like yesterday, you'll pull me only when I say 'yes', correct?"

She gave a single nod.

"Thank you. That is all I wanted to know."

She passed me one of the ends of the rope and picked up speed to stand at the other side of the waterfall. I held it tight, against the thickness of the rope, it's fibers stung me deeply which I disregarded. Without thinking further ado, I twisted it around my wrist, making absolutely sure that it wasn't going to slip away out of my grip.

I felt ready. I have been waiting all night to finish this seemingly impossible task off, and now I had enough.

"Hayden Mackay, are you ready?"

I smiled watching her ask the question and in a more than required dramatic manner, I replied, "No!"

Vrishabha must have been stunned, watching me slackening my grip. She slightly dropped her shoulders down and stood attentively without taking her eyes off me.

Still holding the rope but not as firm as I was supposed to, I walked across the stream of water, towards the dry island at the edge of the cliff. I tapped my legs, twice. Too hard. Naah! I moved on.

"Hayden Mackay, are you ready?" Vrishabha asked, watching me reach back to my original place.

"No," I replied bluntly and resumed walking to another side of the cliff in search for some movable fine rocks.

"Are you ready?"

"No!"

"How about now?"

"No!"

"Are you..."

"No!"

Vrishabha was almost vexed. She dropped her hand down completely, without letting the rope go and probably had made up her mind to not question me again until she found me standing in my required place.

Last night when the idea had struck to me, I had been tramping all over this place locating a few broken branches, leaves and movable rocks. I haven't had the faintest idea if I was allowed to execute my plan in the night itself, and for it, I decided to wait until the rope was back into my hand. I was aware of exactly from where I had to collect all my current life saviors. But just to create an illusion that I was searching for them at this moment, or probably, an advantage of having a whole day to win the challenge was making me casually ramble here and there. Not to mention, driving Vrishabha to lose her focus was a part of the plan.