26.2 Gate 9-Tugged in a War

The person was walking swiftly and dangerously towards us-tall, over six feet in height, well built with muscular shoulders, upper body covered with iron shining armor and a jute rope hanging down, maroon silk loincloth from the waist down. Half of the face, from the forehead to the nose was covered with a dark golden helmet with small holes in favor of the almost invisible eyes and with the spiky horns over the head. The only clearly visible feature was the jaw, with broad black pouted lips, shaped like that of an ox.

It was a jubilant moment, without a necessity to think twice who the person was. Undoubtedly -Vrishabha. Watching the Constellia stride towards us with such an implicit confidence and determination, my mind at once redirected, reminding me of Celina. There was same recognizable poise, the dauntless bravery, the sturdy look that my friend was known for.

"Hello, Hayden Mackay," said Vrishabha, with a voice of a...

I gasped dramatically, taking a step back and said it aloud. "You are a woman!"

'She' stood tall right in front of my eyes, placed her hands on her hips, her muscles threateningly bulging out. "Why the sound of surprise?" she asked, "Are you kind of a person who thinks all women should look like...Kanya?"

Of course, she was her extension. The kind of a reaction was pretty obvious.

"Er, no. I didn't mean like that," I said apologetically, scratching my forehead, "Isn't it a bit early for a challenge? I thought it was going to be tomorrow."

I wasn't mentally prepared for a challenge, unlike the previous times. I was having a good time with Nazira and was just about to make it memorable. Please, please let it not be now.

Vrishabha said, "Don't you think it's beneficial to have an extra day to finish the challenge?"

My heart skipped a beat, sensing the impending possibility of the danger in her tone. I was completely healthy now, besides wanting to have a private time with Nazira, I had no other reason to postpone the challenge. Unwillingly, I nodded, making up my mind that this was going to happen today... now.

I turned around to check on Nazira, to see if she wanted to stay. She was literally scrutinizing Vrishabha, studying her thoroughly and I doubted if she was still thinking of her as a man. She caught my eye and understanding the situation, she bent her head and walked into the hut against my wishes.

"What is the challenge?" I asked, sighing heavily.

"I recently learned the name and it's called 'Tug of War'," Vrishabha replied, "Ever played the game before?"

"No," I said, "But I've heard about it. So, are we going to tug each other?"

My gaze instantly dropped obliquely aside at her arms, muscles too big like the chain of mountains. And her wrist, that might be stronger than both of mine combined.

"Yes," she said, removing the jute rope out of her armor and holding it down, "But there are some rules we strictly need to follow."

"Of course, go ahead."

She pointed at one of the waterfalls, flowing exactly in the middle of the two-towered islands. "We stand at either side of the water. The one who gets dragged completely into the water loses. It's a repetitive round. We begin when you are ready, everytime you say yes the game begins. And the challenge for the day ends when the sun sets."

I looked aside at the slow cascading water, and at the distance between the two islands. I had no idea about the depth of the water, and how I was going to come back to my spot if in case drowned. I intended to ask her, but Vrishabha went on.