17.2 Bygones

The next morning the group decided to take a temporary halt at a pleasant local inn, only to freshen themselves up. Horses, according to the coachman, were too tired to progress anymore. They still had a long way to go and although it was tiring to travel, the distance never seemed shortening, Pruthvi and Leena just had to make their minds up and utilize their time effectively. During every stop they took Pruthvi had tried to open up Hardik and requested it to help them out, but the poor thing always stayed curled up tight.

Pruthvi was alone near the Carriage, watching the horses graze in peace. The inn was constructed at the roadside especially for the travelers. The distinct conversing sounds coming from the people walking in and out of the inn was mostly about the disastrous celebrations at the Rang Mahal and that how the subsequent planned marriages for this Fest were canceled. Many, among them, were claiming to have seen Rahu Kerenza entering the amphitheater and discussing the exaggerated rumors about him circulating all around the country. Pruthvi sighed in frustration. They were after all talking about his friend who was forcefully made to turn into a nefarious celebrity.

He made sure it was going to take a while for the rest of them to come out from the inn and that he was having enough time before they could resume their journey. He finally found the chance he had been waiting for since last night. The thing was resting right inside the bag, in front of his eyes. Unable to wait anymore, he immediately took it out, comfortably sitting on the folding step of the carriage and then checked for the date in King Harsh's scroll.

The scroll was burnt and almost ruined. There was hardly anything left to read. He wasn't  definitely interested to go through the dead King's whole life history, he did not think he was having limited time for it. He kept looking for the date King Aghasthya had mentioned last night, all the writing in the red and blue distracting him a bit. When he was almost there, his hopes to read anything related to last night's discussion shattered into pieces. The particular date he was looking for wasn't mentioned at all. And because of it, he casually read the nearest one.

October 2nd, 1984,

Raaz,

It's happening. And it's tomorrow. Dakshinpur will be officially united once again, just like in the old times. Shashi's capture has brought some assurance to the people that Paramarashtra does not have to fear the dark magic anymore. Everyone must be safe now, especially the woman, they have suffered a lot. Not anymore. I am ashamed of myself for not believing Aghasthya. He has only been trying to be a good friend to me, he always warned me about Shashi's unnatural behavior. And now I realized sharing same blood doesn't make one a family. Shashi was, is, never a family. He is a disgrace to the Thribhuvan legacy.

But today I want to forget everything. I want to give it a rest.

Something else has happened today that I want to share with you. Gargs have finally asked for forgiveness. Shashi's capture has brought some enlightenment in them. They finally realized Kings of Dakshinpur aren't incapable of handling their position. Aghasthya is already in talks about the future amendments in the system of Paramarashtra. Premila is highly elated, and I am happy to see her smile. Only on her request, I decided to provide a job for her cousin in the palace. I hope he keeps his childish behavior aside and gives his family a relief.

.

.

.

Yada! Yada! Yada!

Pruthvi huffed with boredom and continued ahead to look for anything interesting that was left to read in this burnt pile of dump. He kept rolling the scroll till he finally decided to stop at the area written in red.

January 29th, 1990,

Raaz,

I apologize for keeping you aside. But in these past two years, nothing else, except keeping the future Samagraha safe has been my priority. And now I successfully accomplished. In a few days, we are finally bringing a closure to this Yajna we started. Even now, at this situation where I am in, if I don't come back and pour down all my feeling to you, my soul might never rest in peace.