16.1 Gate 4- Two strings to one's Bow

I could have never imagined that crossing a Gate can sometimes be so difficult. It was nothing but a terrible sensation of jumping down a cliff, my leg although meeting the soft silky surface, I did not feel landing anywhere on the ground whatsoever. My consciousness was ebbing away and eyes becoming heavier. I sucked hard for some air to breathe. My body must be on fire since I was wasn't able to feel the extreme chilliness in the air.

Thick blood was flowing freely from the cut I received on my arm. No matter how much pressure I applied with my other uninjured hand, blood still gushed between my fingers and squirted down my hand. I hissed in pain. Vrischika's venom was spreading all through my body, and I literally feel it passing through my veins. It wasn't only my arm that was affected but I felt my whole body stung as if there was a hand squeezing every organ in my body. Unable to take a step I fell on my knees and waited till the fuzziness before my eyes cleared.   

I wished someone, anyone could wipe those tears out of my eyes away when Nazira leaned down beside me, trying my help me stand up. She was closer to me, almost in an embrace and I desperately blinked my heavy, droopy eyes to look at her.

"Just two more steps," she signaled, "Hut is right here."

I tried to smile at her but failed. Too difficult.

"Please, walk," she pleaded, signaling very quickly.    

I numbly nodded and watched her taking the step the opposite side, gently pulling me with her. My body was about to collapse and with every step I took, I felt the remaining of my strength diminishing. Nazira opened the door and let me stand leaned over against the wall. She rushed inside and dragged the chair towards to me. I was sincerely grateful to her for being thoughtful.

I sat down slowly and relaxed my throbbing muscles. I placed my wounded hand over the arm of the chair and wished for a miracle to happen to take this pain away. My stomach was hurting as well. I needed something to eat, but I didn't even have the strength to move the muscles in my face to chew the food. I turned my head aside to watch Nazira placing the new huge wooden basket, down on the floor and sat down on her knees beside my wounded arm.

She took a paper out of the basket and then signaled. "Can..can you take your shirt off?"

Unable to ask, I just kept looking her with my half opened eyes for an answer.

"So that I can fix the wound."

I couldn't understand what she was talking about. But I was mentally and physically too tired to think anything about it. I just did what she asked of me. I somehow managed to remove my outer blood-soaked shirt with my left arm and dropped it aside.

"Oh God!" Nazira's reaction was genuine when she and I both looked down at the frightful gash on arm, blood streaming down continuously and splattering on the floor.

She quickly skimmed through the paper once again for a few minutes, dig her hand into the basket to take out a vial and some cotton. I sighed softly looking up at the ceiling. I had no idea what was going on, and what she was about to do. I just gave away my hand to her and let her do whatever she wanted to do. I wouldn't have even minded if she could just cut my arm, that might be a little less painful.

Then came a wiping sensation over the tingling skin around my wound. Slowly turning my head aside, I found Nazira wiping my blood out of my hand leaning closer to me.

I was tired as hell, my eyes burdened with exhaustion and wanting to drift off into a deep sleep. But I didn't want to, not anymore. Having her so close to me for the first time, her beautiful face drove me to keep my eyes open, I just wanted to treasure this moment. I slowly dropped my eyes to look at her lips quivering as she kept wiping my blood. She tugged her hair behind her ear. That was the gesture I was waiting for, that always made my heart flutter.