Ch. 19

We got inside of this huge house to find ourselves in a shiny hall filled with guests.

There was a pleasant music playing in the background and the guests were walking around the hall, drinking alcohol, laughing and talking. They were all dressed fabulously and I was glad that I wore this dress so that I would fit in (not that I had a choice, because if Michael said 'wear it', I had to).

Michael was holding my hand tightly and so was I holding his since I was afraid that I could lose him among the big crowd of people. Last thing I wanted was to be alone here.

He led the way so I had zero idea where we were going, but then he saw a man who waved at him and Michael change the direction.

That man was drinking and talking in a small group with other men. He was smiling and greeted Michael warmly.

"Michael! Long time no see!" they shook hands and the other men greeted Michael too.
"I've been busy. Nice party."
"It is! My son's getting his master's degree this month so this party is in his honor."
"Very nice, congratulations."
"So, who is this beautiful lady?" the man examined me with his eyes.
"YN, my girlfriend."
"Nice to meet you, YN!"
"Nice to meet you too..."
"Tom."
"Tom has been my business partner for quite some time, YN." Michael explained.
"So you have been together for 1-2 months, YN?" the man asked me.
"Yes! How did you know?"
"Because you're still alive!" then they all burst out laughing.
"Yeah yeah very funny..." Michael said. I smiled a little so that I won't look awkward although I didn't quite get this joke. "So how's your wife doing, Tom? Does she know about your new mistress?" Michael fired back and Tom's smile suddenly disappeared.
"Well, have fun, love birds. I'll go greet a few friends."

"Asshole." Michael whispered to himself and I couldn't help it but giggle. "What's so funny?" he looked at me.
"Nothing." I quickly put my serious face on.

"Michael, honey!" a woman suddenly appeared from behind and wrapped her arms around Michael, making him let go off my hand. "Teddy bear! You look fantastic!" she placed her hands on his cheek and kissed them one by one "Mua mua! I missed you, baby!"

Who the heck was that woman?

"Stop it, Karen! You're gonna leave lipstick all over my face!" thank God he pushed her away!
"So what? Let everybody know what we did!" then her eyes stopped at me "Who is this girl?"
"My girlfriend, YN." he replied.
"She looks good. Hi, I'm Karen!"
"YN.." I couldn't talk much. I was still surprised maybe because I wasn't used to seeing other women around Michael.
"Now, Michael, why don't you come with me for a drink! I have so much to tell you!" he looked at me and said
"Maybe later I c-"
"No no no! You're coming!" she wrapped her arms around his left hand and started to drag him. "But YN-"
"She's gonna be fine! Right, YN?" before I could even reply she went on "See she nodded!" which I didn't "Just for 5 minutes, Michael, she's not a baby! I'll bring him back I promise!" the woman yelled at me, dragging Michael forward. We exchanged one last glance when he disappeared in the crowd. I could see in his eyes he didn't want to go, but had no choice.

Great, now I'm alone.

What was I supposed to do now? I was just standing there uncomfortably and had the feeling everyone was staring at me as if I was an idiot. Therefore, I decided to go grab a drink.

I looked around and saw the table with the drinks. I walked over to it and damn those people had only alcohol. I had never drunken alcohol before and decided to just leave, but then someone talked to me

"Hi." I turned around and saw an young man behind me.
"Hi..." I replied.
"So you want a drink?" he asked.
"Well, actually I-" but he quickly grabbed two glasses of champagne and passed me one.
"Cheers!" he said and drunk from his wine. Then he stared at me and I remembered I had to drink too. So I brought the glass to my lips and took one small gulp. This tasted funny! Blah! However, I put a smile on because I didn't want anyone to know I had never tasted alcohol before.
"So what's the name?"
"YN." I replied.
"I'm John, nice to meet you."
"Nice to meet you too."
" So you like the party?"
"Yeah, it's nice!"
"I haven't seen you before... and I know all of my father's friends."
"Well, I-"