Ch. 38

This marriage and honey moon were a true miracle for me and Michael. 

He was becoming calmer, nicer, sweeter, gentler and more loving - actually things he had always been, but kept hidden deep inside him, behind this gangster mask as a survival tactic.  

I was getting to know the real Michael more and more with every day we spent here. He had become very sociable and wanted to talk to me all the time. We even had a ritual - we made love, then kept talking for a few hours until we drifted off. That was my favorite part of the day! 

However, I'd been noticing something strange lately... Michael had been doing something weird in the bathroom. I got the feeling he was hiding there to do something, which he didn't want me to know. Today I found some pill on the floor right in front of the bathroom. Was Michael taking some kind of pills? 

I picked it up and examined it closely, but didn't know what it was. I decided to put it in my pocket and check the bathroom later. I then felt two strong arms pull me backwards until my  back hit Michael's chest. He had me locked in his arms and kissed my ear.

"What are you doing here, love?" he asked gently.
"Nothing, I was just..."
"Looking for your husband?"
"Yes!"
"Mmmhhh..." he moaned as he was planting gentle kisses on my neck. "It's late.. wanna go to bed and make love?" he whispered in my ear between the kisses. I giggled. How could I say no after all those sweet kisses on my neck and ear, which turned me on.

He carried my bridal style into the bedroom, placed me on the bed and we made love. Afterwards, he snuggled up to me with his arm over my body and closed his eyes.

But I couldn't close mine for I kept thinking about that pill I found earlier. After a little while, I looked at Michael, who seemed to be sleeping deeply, so I took his arm and gently removed it from body, hoping I won't wake him up. Then, I gently moved away from his body and got up from the bed. I tip toed to the bathroom and silently closed the door behind me. 

I switched on the light and looked around to see if I would find something. Of course, I didn't. Michael was smart and if he wanted to hide something from me, he would do it. Therefore, I decided to examine the room very closely and look everywhere! 

After what seemed like 10 minutes of searching, I finally found the small bottle with pills inside it, hidden under the sink. It said Demerol. My eyes spotted another bottle then, which said morphine. 

What could Michael need these pills for? These were some serious painkillers! 

I was still examining the bottles and reading what's on them, when suddenly I heard the door behind my flew open. My first reaction was to quickly turn around, hiding the bottles behind my back.

It was Michael, looking at me.

"What are you doing here, YN?" he asked with a serious voice. Maybe he was afraid that I'd find his pills.
"I ahh.." I tried to sound as natural and as normal as possible, but that was a very hard thing to do under his intense stare "I came to use the bathroom."
"What do you have behind you?" he didn't believe me at all.
"Nothing." I replied quickly.
"Show me your hands." he commanded.
"Michael I don't have anything in my hands... can we go to bed now?"
"Alright. Go." he said, standing there and looking at me. I knew I couldn't go before him, because he was going to see the bottles in my hands.
"You first." I said.
"No, you first." he commanded. 
"But, I'm not finished here.. so you go to bed now and I'll join you in a second!" he looked at me for a second and said
"We just got married a few days ago, YN, yet you're lying to me." his words really hurt me, because I wasn't the one laying.
"I'm not lying, Michael..." I said with a weak voice "You're the one who's lying and hiding things from me." I then brought my hands in front of him with the bottles in them. He stepped back from me as he saw I had discovered his little secret. His expression completely changed. This only confirmed that he had a serious problem with those pills... "Why do you keep such strong drugs in your belongings, Michael?" I demanded to now "Tell me!" he opened his mouth, but didn't spoke. I assumed he didn't know what to tell me or how to explain this. Then he looked away and said
"That's none of your business." I couldn't believe it... "Let's go to bed." he grabbed my hand to lead me out of the bathroom, but I quickly moved it away.
"No!" he didn't expect me to do that "Why are you hiding this from me? What is going on?! I want to know!"
"I said, let's go back to bed." his voice was very calm.
"No! Tell me what do you need these stuff for! I have right to kn-"

"GO TO BED AND SHUT THE FUCK UP!" he yelled so loud that it made me jump. 

I could feel how my eyes got wet and I had to look away to hide the tears, which were about to fall, from Michael. 

I placed the small bottles next to the sink and headed to the bed. Michael didn't want to talk to me. It was clear I wasn't his wife, but just another girl, he didn't trust.

I lay in bed and pulled the blanket over my body and face to hide the tears. I heard Michael's foot steps coming from the bathroom over to the bed, then I felt him sit on it and after two seconds, he placed his feet on the bed and took the blanket to cover himself up. 

I was trying not to weep and make sounds, as I didn't want him to know. 

After a little while,  he suddenly spoke with a very soft, but low voice.

"I'm sorry..." it was more like a whisper. I pretended to be sleeping, but he went on "I shouldn't have yelled at you like that, baby." he sighed "I didn't want to, I just..." he made a short pause "It's a problem for me, okay." was he addicted to those pills? "I underwent surgery on my scalp few years ago and those pills were prescribed to me for the pain, but... I soon started using them to treat the pain in my soul too." I slowly sat in the bed. "I didn't want you to know that, because I didn't want to lose your love."
"Lose my love! But why would you think that?!"
"Because you have so many reasons not to love me, YN! And now that you know that I have an addiction too, just adds more to those reasons."
"Michael..." I sat in front of him and took his face in my hands, he was looking away. "Your theory with the reasons is stupid. I fell in love with you for you, no matter who you are! And being addicted to something is not a reason not to love you, on the contrary, it makes me love you even more and I'm so happy you told me!"
"I was gonna tell you earlier, if I wasn't so scared of losing you..."
"Baby.." I whispered and kissed his lips "you'll never lose me!"
"Promise me!"
"I promise!" I took him in my arms and kept stroking his head until he fell asleep. 

I didn't want to make him talk about the pills right now when he had just confessed. I was going to help him get rid of them, but slowly and step by step.