chapter 1 musical madness, page 1

I woke up to the sound of my ringtone, I slowly picked up my phone and answered “hello?” I croaked “sup bitch” I heard one of my best friends, Shannon laugh at the other end of the line. “Shan, I was having the first real rest I have gotten since the GCSE’s started and you just woke me! Someone had better be dying!” I snapped “I’ve had diet coke, I’m outta my mind!” she laughed again “ok, well I’m gonna hang up now…” I sighed “no! Wait! I was gonna ask you if you wanted to meet up today at the local park with me, Kaya, Martha, Keeley and Ellie?” she rushed “sure, when?” “1ish” she replied “ok. See ya soon then” “bye!” I hung up and started to get dressed; it was already quarter to 1.

     I ran downstairs and grabbed a cereal bar “mum, I need a ride down to the local park” I shouted “why?” my mum turned to face me with a frying pan filled with pancake mixture in her hand. “Because aliens are attacking the earth and the only way to stop them is for me to go to the park” I answered sarcastically “plus I need to meet my friends” I added. “When?” she asked “now” I opened the door and ran to the car. She sighed and put the pan down “Con, look after Eth” she demanded to my younger brother, Connor. He nodded slowly then my mum ran out the door with me. When we got in, the first thing my mum said to me was something that she always said every time I needed a ride somewhere “Katelyn, you’re 16, maybe you should be thinking about practicing for a drivers licence so you can go anywhere you like at any time.” she started the engine “mum, for the millionth time, I have almost a whole year to do that and plus I’m already too busy with exams and everything. In two weeks I need to start planning my future and welcome myself to the real world. I’ll start to practise when that all goes away” I replied. “Are you sure?” she asked “very, now can we go?” I rushed. She turned to the road and started to drive. I looked out the window and sighed. Was that all really true? Was I that close to leaving school?

       Less than 3 minutes later, I arrived at the park. The first thing I saw was Shannon waving wildly in my direction with Kaya standing next to her with her face in her hands, embarrassed. Martha was there too and she was on her phone, paying no attention to Shannon. “Can I have some money?” I asked my mum quickly “how much?” she sighed, a little annoyed “£10” I answered. She grabbed her purse from her bag and gave me £10 “thanks” I got out of the car and slammed the door before she could give me a lecture of “being careful in public” and “making the right decisions when I see weird people”. It was always the same conversations with my mum; I couldn’t wait to move out. “Hey” Shannon said still waving “hey…” I answered, Shannon seemed very excited… I knew that she had diet coke but still… she was excited. “Is there something happening?” I asked her “yes” she squilled “what?” I asked slowly “wait until Keeley and Ellie get here” Kaya answered “okay, and how long will that be?” I asked “soon” Martha replied looking up at me from her phone.