Chapter 24

I walk up the path leading to Aphmau's house, looking out over the waters as I go. When I get to the top, I stand before her doors ready to knock. I knock loudly until she walks down and meets me.

     "Oh, uh dawn. Hey." She begins. "What is it you need?"

     "I just wanted to check up on things. May I come in?" I ask.

      "I suppose. But if you don't mind, can we talk up stairs, quietly? There is a small situation we were dealing with." 

       "No problem Lord Aphmau."

       I walk in behind her, and she leads me upstairs to a bed room across from hers. We enter, and there I see a witch with orange hair sitting before a desk. When I look to my side I see a small child on the bed, only faded like a ghost. In fact, is a ghost. Taken by surprise, I stay by the door while Aphmau sits by the bed where he lay. 

       "Malachi. Malachi please wake up!" Aphmau pleads. "Ugh.......it's no use......the only progress we're going to make is the progress Lucinda makes....Lucinda, uh.., I'm sorry, Lucinda how are things going?"

        "I'm still confused about all of this that's happening to Malachi........ it doesn't make any sense..." This Lucinda says. 

         "What sense can you make of it...?" Aphmau questions.

         "Look, I get that Malachi wants to live a normal life...I've seen him pretend to eat, pretend to run...heck he even refused to levitate, but this.. I want to believe he's pretending to be injured, but I'v tried an ice pick on him and it's not working on him... Ice picks are meant to touch spirits. This is a real pain..." Lucinda tells her.

         "Is he going to be okay?" She worries.

         "Honestly, I can't say. This goes beyond what I'm able to heal..." 

         "It's okay but, what do you think Kawaii~Chan can do about this?" 

         I snap out of my shocked state, and slowly walk towards the child, kneeling by the bed side. After I notice them done talking I look in Aphmau's direction.

        "Lord Aphmau, is this...your child?" I ask.

        "Not by blood. I found him, and am taking care of him as my own. He is one of my two sons." She replies and I nod. 

         "Is it okay if I stay here and keep an eye on him?" 

         "Why would you want to do that?"

         "Listen Aphmau...The power within me...tells me that some how I can help this child...... I haven't told you in detail of certain things I know I can do...  but could you trust me to help..?" 

          "Uh- yes Dawn. I'm going to go check on Zoey and my other son Levin. I'll be back to check in here." 

           She leaves the room and I look over the ghost child, his ragged, transparent clothes covering over him, and his eyes tightly shut. As night falls, I see Dante run for the house from the window. I wave bye to Lucinda and run down, Dante almost out of breath. 

           "We....need...to get to the gates now!" He says, and we run there as fast as possible. 

           When we get there, I see Zane behind some guy speaking to Aphmau, and I stop beside her, Zane looking at me. Aphmau goes to get the mans daughter Nichole, and I sprint to the tower ladder, looking down at Zane. 

            "Zane, what are you doing here?!" I whisper loudly but only gaining his attention.

            "Don't worry Dawn, I'll make sure your okay..." He says, neglecting my question. 

            "Zane!" 

            He only looks away, and I go back down to the other guards. Aphmau comes back, telling the man she can't find her, and he claims he'll burn down the place and find her himself, then he turns away, only leaving Zane and his guards.

             "Hahahaha......wow....what a shame. Who could have ever seen this coming." Zane says to Aphmau.

              "Zane! You did this! Where is Nichole?!" Aphmau orders for him to tell him.

              "That is quite the accusation your putting against me without any proof. It's quite the situation you got your little village into. I could talk to the lord of Scaleswind, and clear up this whole mess and make this all go away. But I'm going to need you to give me those two amulets back." 

           "You cursed my people with those amulets! I don't know why you want them, but I'm not giving them back to you!" 

            "Hehehehe.....you are a funny woman..you would risk the safety of your own people for those trinkets, the people you are sworn to protect. You would risk they're lives over two pieces of jewelry? You could just give them to me and spare them."

           "I will not give them to you." 

           "So be it. My offer still stands. Bye my beloved Dawn, hope to see you soon...Hahahahahahaha...."

            I drop to my knees, and clench my fist. I know he's going to try to get me out of here before anything happens...and if I stay here, he'll have to tell him.....because I know Zane can't risk an attack on the village with me here....I just need to keep my self under full alert...