Chapter 27

No..... no.........no......... I look up at his face, the sign of a evil smirk coming from the curves in his mask, his coal black hair hanging over his blue eyes, and a long silver sword in his hand. My hands tremble as I quickly move away, pressing my back as far as I can against a tree. 

      "Dawn? You mustn't of heard me... How was your nap?" He asks once more,  and takes a step closer. "Are you going to just sit there?"

      "Uh... It... It was fine..." I mumble, slowly standing up. "Where am I?" 

      "That's good, good! Where are you? Well the forest of course. Isn't that obvious?" He answers.

      "I mean, what town Zane? This isn't Phoenix Drop. I'm sure f it." I say.

      "Just outside of Scaleswind. Let me guess, how did you get here? Well, I couldn't have you getting hur-"

      "I know why. That's the one thing I didn't want you to do Zane! I can handle myself!" 

      "Oh, you grew some backbone, good to here. Don't worry, I just want to keep you safe. I'll let you go back just as soon as everything's over. For now, why don't I help you to some dinner?"

      "No way! I need to get back to Phoenix Drop!"

      "Grr... Poor Dawn, you worry anyways. Don't worry my dear, I told you that. I can't have anything happen to you, your... way too much of an importance to me. Come, let me get you dinner." 

      "I told you no Zane. I'm going." 

      I turn around to try and head off, but feel his hand grab onto my shoulder. He stops me, and walks to in front of me.

      "That option... isn't exactly available right now. I'd hate to do this to you, but if you go, a certain... family... isn't going to be happy. In other words, won't live long enough to figure out who's responsible for the taking of they're lives." Zane informs and I feel my body shake with utter fear. 

       "ZANE! You wouldn't dare...!"

       "HaHaHaHa... try me... Dawn."

       "...Zane... Fine... but you better not do anything to any innocents!"

       "Yes, your words are my command. Now, follow me."

       I slowly walk behind Zane as he leads me into Scaleswind, then stops in his tracks.

      "Oh yes, I forgot. You were probably seen at the gate. Here."

      He turns around and puts a cloak around my neck, buttoning the front. After, he lifts the hood up from behind my head and smooths out the fabric.

      "There. Let's continue."

      We carry on and head inside of a building that appears to be a eatery of some kind. I'v never been in Scaleswind... When I escape this, maybe I can give inside information to Aphmau and the others. If I escape anyways, if anything happened to that family he threatened... It would be held over my head. Zane orders meals for us both, and we sit at a table in the far corner, across from each other. When our food is placed before us, nothing but silence fills the table. Isn't it too late for an eatery to be open? Unless he payed it to be open, of coarse, no one else is here. I suppose that's the only possibility. At least it's public, and there are cooks present. 

     "How have you been?" He asks, poking at a piece of bread. "I'm sure you've been okay. After all you got to see Garroth again."

     "I'v been fine." I reply, sitting back in the seat and looking at him.

     "That's a very nice set of armor you have there. That sword isn't too bad either." 

     "I know."

      "Hm? What about a thank you? Or a 'You look nice as well'? No? Well, I tried."

       "I'm sorry, are you trying to make me laugh? Thank you? You look nice? Explain to me why I should. This is technically kid napping, and black mail." 

        "Doesn't mean you can't be nice. You are my great friend, so it's only normal."

        "Grr..."

        "Let's go." 

        "What?"

        "Let's go."

        "We just got here..."

      "And we're leaving."

      "How come?"

      "I don't have all night, let's go. I have a bed waiting for you in a hotel I'v been staying in."

      "A bed? You want me to sleep?"

      "Well, you should get some rest. I mean, we'll be here for a while."

      "A while? How long?"

      "Until the fight between Phoenix Drop and Scaleswind starts. I mean, I told you before. I can't have you getting hurt."

       "What if there never is a fight Zane? I have faith that they will find Nicole and tell you off."

       "Believe what you must, but I doubt they'll find her. Now, let's go."

       I follow after Zane to a hotel, then he leads me to a room with two beds. One is properly made and the other is messy and ruffled up. He directs me to the made bed, and I sit on it, looking around the room.

      "You like it? This is the best room here. I made sure to send someone up here to fix that bed up for you as soon as I heard Lily found you alone." 

      "Lily?"

      "Don't worry, you'll meet her soon enough." 

      "Ah... You know Aphmau will be looking for me?"

      "Yes, but she'll be too busy trying to stop this possible war."

      "..........."

      "Hahahahahaha, good night." 

      He puts out the lights in the room, and I lay down on the bed, staring out the window at the glint of the stars. How am I going to get out of this mess...?