Chapter 28

"Now, I have some business to... attend to. I expect you'll behave and stay in this room? You wouldn't want anyone to get hurt, now would you?" Zane says as I look out at the sky. "You acted well for most of today, and didn't try anything. I see you know what situation your in... Hm... I assume you also know, I will have guards placed outside these doors, for your protection of course... Dawn? Can you please say something? I guess not. Have a beautiful day then. Hahahahahaha..." 

      Zane leaves the room with guards at his side, and slams the door behind him. It's been a whole night, and all morning, trapped here, inside this hotel room. He did bring me out for breakfast, but besides that he left me in here for an hour or so with a few guards in the room. I didn't think he'd have them outside the door this time, but I guess he never fails to surprise me. 
     I stand out of the chair and walk over to his side of the room, and begin rummaging through his bedside drawer. Only a wide open, blank notebook, a small, slim, dagger, and a few scrap papers are in it. I pick up the scrap sheets, and scan over them. They also have nothing on them. I trail my finger over the fine cut blade of the dagger, then pick it up, thinking of the many ways I could die by attempting to attack him in his slumber. Since that would be to hard for myself to do. I pick up the note book and flip through the pages, each one dented, bent, and crumpled in some way. but nothings written. I almost shut the drawer when I spot the glint of a silver clamp. I reach my hand into the back of the drawer, and pull out another book, but it's lined with a gold painted metal, and is locked with a silver crested clamp. I set it on the bed, and take the dagger in my hands, digging inside of the lock. I finally am able to pick it, since the key hole is bigger than average, and the dagger is smaller than most I'v seen. I open it and go through pages with dates at the top, when I come to a fairly blank page, but with writing still on it, and today's date written on the top. 

     "Today's plans" I read aloud, looking down the page. "We are planning an attempt attack on Phoenix Drop and Meteli, not many will attack Phoenix Drop, only enough to keep them busy. Larger groups will attack Meteli and I will be present but under protection as fire is set to the houses and crop."

      My voice cracks as I read, anger and stress overcoming me as I go on. He's a monster... that I couldn't escape for so long... now he's really done it. He's hurt so many people, and now he's going for a allied village, to weaken our forces. Aphmau, I hope you can save everyone, if I leave, I'll have lives taken. Zane never makes an empty threat.  

      The rest of the day passes slowly, and only main coarse meals are given to me by the guards when time arrives. I put everything back to the way it was, locking the journal, even putting the scrap paper where I believe they were when I found them. When I finish, I go and sit back on my bed, thinking about the trouble everyone's going through, and how one less guard is probably a problem for them, as well as the worry of my where about's. I thought Zane would be treating me better, though I suppose he know's I'm technically his enemy now, but knowing him so long has an effect on things... I rest my head on the pillow and shut my eyes, falling asleep to the sound of crickets outside the window.