Mistaken

Maxon's POV

"What do you mean Doctor Ashlar?" I questioned getting nervous.

At first, she was hesitant to tell me. As if she would ruin something part of the Selection. 

"Doctor Ashlar?" I asked again.

"Ummm..." She said as she looked at the ground. Not wanting to speak to me.

"Doctor Ashlar!" I said losing my patience. "Must I command you to tell me about the condition of America!" I said losing it.

"Prince Maxon. I don't know if you know this, but Lady America has twins. One girl, one boy." She confessed.

"What?" I said, confused. "No impossible," I said, not wanting it to be true. 

"Your Majesty, I don't know whose the babies father is, but America may suffer from a canning and or death." She said scaredly.

"I know," I confessed.

I knew exactly who did it.

"Aspen Leger! Aspen Leger!" I yelled out to the guard training facility.

"Yes?" He responded back.

"I must speak to you immediately," I said smoothly, knowing there were many guards there.

------------------------------------------------------------

"When did you hook up with America!" I accused.

"What?!" He said back, just hearing this news.

"I said, When did you hook up with America!" I yelled again, losing my patience.

"Never!" He shot back. 

"Aspen, if you confess now, I won't cane you for treason."

"There was no treason committed!" He yelled at me.

"What do you mean?! America's pregnant! There is proof." I angrily yelled at him.

"Stop it. Stop lying. I know you hate me, but America's not pregnant." he assumed. 

"This isn't about my hate towards you! Why would I be lying about this?" I screamed. "America, my love, is lying on a bed. UNCONSCIOUS, and you're telling me that you aren't to blame?!" I accused again.

"I'm not the one who hooked up with her." He said. Standing his ground.

"Your Majesty, Doctor Ashlar needs you in her office immediately. Something about America." An officer said.

"Thank you," I said back. I started walking toward the doctor's office. Aspen also started walking.

"I know you think that I was the cause of this, but I'm not!" He said with a firm look on his face. "America is my first love. I care about her as much as I care for my siblings." He said. 

"America was close to bleeding out. She was close to death." I said harshly. "You're not going," I said back. 

Aspen looked mad at me. 

Really Aspen? I should be the one mad at you. 

"Doctor Ashlar?"I called for her.

"Ahhh yes." She called back.

"You called me?" I asked.

"Yes. I have look at America a bit closer now, and I see where the twins are located, and where the bullets are." She said.

"And?" I responded.

"Okay. Brace yourself. It's pretty rough where the bullets entered." She warned. "The bullets entered through the left side of her body. To make more sense of this, I brought a diagram, and we will be referring to the twins as "A" and "B". Twin "A" is much more stable then twin "B".  This is because of the structure America's body was built in." She said, now going into more deeper stuff.

"Twin "B", the male, was grazed by the bullet. This graze is on his foot. Right now, there are no complications expect his foot may come out with a scar.  Which the bullet now is in her stomach. It will not be of harm but may cause lead poisoning. This is very rare, but it does happen." She said, starting to get worried.

"This is our concern here. Where America was hit, It was just above her intestines. Worst case scenarios are that the bullet manages to pierce her intestines and breaks the fluid inside. Causing her to be a risk of infection. Which has caused many deaths." She explained.

"Oh no...." I said worriedly so much, everywhere was sweating.

"Oh wait, there's more. In light of the new information that America is pregnant. She has to take care of two other humans. For this, we need her as strong as possible. She will not be as strong as possible if she is awake, tired and hungry. My team and I have set up a plan to ensure the safety of both America and the twins." She said, starting to get worried that I might not approve of this plan.

"Okay. Go ahead." I said.

"Okay. For this to work, America cannot be woken. America needs all her strength and nutrients to flow into the babies. I have ordered many IV fluids for this because we require a lot for this. All the nutrients will be given to the babies. America will be asleep for this process and will be unconscious. America will be very weak and vulnerable at this time. The babies are around 4.5 months now, and cannot be taken out to prevent the risk of infection and death. We must wait two more months before we can take the babies out safely." She explained. 

"Okay," I said, understanding. 

"Your Majesty, This means that America will be likely unconscious for two months." She clarified.

"I know. I'm trying not to think about it." I explained.

"Probably for the best." She said.

"Shall I let the King and Queen know about this?" She asked.

"No," I said. Let's keep this to ourselves for now. I was just about to leave, but Doctor Ashlar caught me in time.

"Your Majesty, I know you are heartbroken, but I must ask you to sign this.

"What is this saying?" I asked.

"Okay, don't take this personally but, in the case of an emergency and we are not able to get ahold of you, who do you want to save? I have spoken to the advisors and given the fact that she is the property of Illea, and part of the selection, they have decided that you choose," she said.

"No. I can't choose. You're making me choose between the love of my life and children! Not to mention America's children! I can't. She might hate me for this, I can't lose her again. I refuse." I said, about to cry.

"Prince Maxon, I know this is hard, but you must choose. Sign this, and we promise you that we will do anything to save whomever you choose. We will do everything in our power to make sure that they are safe. Although, if something happens to America, we must take the twins out for surgery. It's either America's life or theirs. You must choose." She said to me. 

"I can't though. It's too painful." I said. Crying.

"Maxon. If America is stable, there is no reason to choose, but for emergencies." She said. 

They aren't even mine. There an another's man and I would be raising them. If America was my wife, I would have custody of them right? Which means that I would be able to have an heir to the throne. This way I could be with America when she wakes up, and I would have an heir. First of all, I have to make  America my wife. I just sent her daughter to death. Would she still want me then?

"I Choose.....