My Right

"America, I'm not going to leave your side, so don't ask me to leave. I will refuse." I said.

"Maxon, I don't want you to leave, but it's kinda hard to push with you right here." 

"So where should I go?" 

"Burn that contract" She whispered while pushing.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing," She said and groaned.

"I'll go see what paperwork I have to fill out, Doctor Ashlar mentioned it to me a few months ago, better get to it. Do you think I'll miss it?" 

"Not a chance, I won't do anything unless your here."

"Thanks, but if things get bad, Do not wait for me."

"Okay, but I doubt things will go that bad." 

"Yeah I guess, but go knock that wooden bedside drawer."

"Fine," She said, knocking it loud enough so I could hear. "Happy?"

"Very" I smiled.

I walked out to see my father, who surprisingly was here this entire time. Listening in on our conversation. 

"Have you talked to America about getting that twins?" 

"She thinks I'm not taking them away."

"Maxon! Tell her that the minute those children are breathing on their own, she's gone."

"That's it? I have no say over the women I love?" 

"Of course you don't. You got yourself into this mess, I'm here to get you out. Go in there and tell her!"

"Father, you are insane," I said shaking my head and leaving the room.

"Son, I wouldn't if I were you..." 

"What are you going to do? Cane me? I've taken enough, for America, I would take double the amount of pain." 

"Would she take double the amount of pain for you?"

"Of course she would."

"Ha! Please! She doesn't have it in her."

"She may not, but she doesn't have to. I'll always be here."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"America! You will not believe how much paperwork I've gone through today, I think I've signed more papers than Celeste today. It's insane how much work goes through having two children and-"

"Arghhhhh" America screamed.

"Are you alright?" I asked. "America! Answer me!"

"Your Majesty, she is in a lot of pain, she thought that maybe it would be best if you left the room."

"Yes, Maxon, leave, please. You won't always be with me, but I don't have it in me so it doesn't matter anyway."

Where have I heard those words? They seem quite familiar.

Wait a minute? My father and I were pretty close to America's room. She must've heard and now is upset with me, I didn't even get to tell her that the custody contract is gone. I burned it. All of it. Yet, she doesn't know. 

"Yes of course," 

I knew she heard me feel small, and I didn't want her to think that. I had to be strong, for all four of us.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Maxon... Is it alright If I talk to you?" Said Kriss walking up to me.

"Yeah sure I guess, I'm not busy so have at it."

"Okay, well it's clear that you love America, I can see why, but I'm done fighting for you. I can't be away from my family if you aren't going to do anything with me. Your father is holding me hostage, but he said I would have the chance to marry you. He also said that America had already left, so I thought we were getting married. My mother was ecstatic, so she sent her wedding dress to me. Guess, it'll be seen by some other man."

"Kriss, thank you for talking to me. And whoever you choose, he will be a lucky man. Don't forget to invite me and America!" I smiled at her, and she laughed.

"There's one thing I'd like. One last date. I want to be able to cherish old memories, not ones that were ruined by rebels. Can you do that?"

"I mean America's giving birth, but she kicked me out twice already. So I'm assuming I won't be let in anytime soon" I said sadly.  "But anyways Kriss, I would be happy to accompany you on a date. You gave up your happiness for mine. I would do anything to pay you back."

"Perfect. Gardens, Tomorrow at 5:00?"

"Sounds good," I said. 

Even if I was "betraying" America, she was the one that kicked me out of that room. I have every right to do whatever I want. I mean, yes I feel terrible about leaving her, but it's her choice on if I stay. It's my right.

My god...I can marry America now. My father has no right to make Kriss marry me if she doesn't want. The public will hate the monarchy for doing that, and my father will have more problems on his hand, which means, I'm free to marry America. 

I should stop standing here and let myself into that room.