Cancels Out

"Maxon!" My father said, clearly angry at me.

"Yes?" I replied, not wanting to speak to him.

"So that's it? America's your final decision?" He said angrily.

"Of course, she was always my choice, no matter what?" I said with confidence.

"Maxon, I know you won't agree to this, but frankly I don't care." He said, making me somewhat nervous.

"Ok? What is it?" I said nervously.

"I brought Kriss back." He said looking me straight in the eye.

"Kriss? Father, I ended the Selection!" I yelled.

"Son! You can't make your own decisions, you were about to chose a Five that's unconscious for what? Two months? Unacceptable! Once she awakens, you're sending her home, or I will..." He threatened.

"America Is my choice, there is nothing you can do about that but accept it," I said.

"Fine then. Kriss will enjoy her stay here for the next few months." He said.

"She's staying?" I asked.

"Of course she is." He said. "How embarrassing would it be to call for someone to arrive at the palace, and send them home to call them again?" He said. 

"Father..... I'm not choosing Kriss!" I yelled.

"Son. Don't make me." He threatened again.

"America is my choice. She always has been." I said, hoping that he would end the conversation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked to the Men's Parlor, hoping to talk to some of the guards about the safety here. 

Leger? Come on. I didn't want to face him after accusing him of basically treason. I had to thought. For my sake, and America's.

"Officer Leger?" I asked. "

"Yes, Your Majesty?" He said.

"May I speak to you outside?" I asked. He seemed worried as if I would punish him.

"Of course,"

"Hey look, I just wanted to apologize for accusing you of being with America. She always meant a lot to me, and I hated the feeling of "sharing her" I got jealous. I thought that you were the reason that she was so distant sometimes, and in a way, I guess you were. Anyways, I'm sorry, that was totally and unprofessional thing to do, and if there's anything I can do for you, please. Let me know. 

"Thank you, Your Majesty. Truly. I'm not mad though, I'm more concerned about how America is doing. Is she alright? He asked.

"Her stitches came undone last night. The doctor said that if America's condition worsens, the twins will be taken out and live outside of the womb. Until then, we wait. Just until Doctor Ashlar finishes up in surgery." 

"Oh." He whispered.

"Maxon!" I heard a feminine voice down the hall.

"Hurry! Gesture toward the door, invite me in!" I explained to Aspen.

He quickly held the door for me, and I walked into the Men's Parlor with Aspen. That was Kriss, I was certain of it. 

"Ummm, Your Majesty? What was that all about?"

"Kriss," I said.

"Kriss? I thought you were choosing America? I thought you ended the Selection!" He sorta accused.

"I did!" I said defending myself.

"Ha! Then explain why Kriss is here." He said.

"She's here because of my father, he invited her here, taking advantage of America's presence."

"Oh, that sucks." 

"If she asks, tell her she's not allowed in the Men's Parlor and dismisses her."

"Yes, sir." Guards said.

"So would you pick her?" Aspen asked.

"Is America dead?" I asked.

"No."

"Then I will not be picking Kriss." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good news!" Doctor Ashlar said. "I managed to pack America's bullet wounds again, but this time more secure than the last, but I took a look at Twin "B" foot, and yes. There is a scar. It has been bled for around 2-3 days, but it shouldn't be something you should worry about." She explained.

"Okay, Thank you for notifying me," I said.

"Doctor Ashlar?" I asked. "Is it too soon for me to see her?"

"Not at all," She said, smiling.

There she was. My America. She was lying down, a tube in her hand, and an IV fluid rack next to her. She was carefully monitored since most of the palace knew that she was the next queen. Little did they know that there were heirs. 

Although she was unconscious, her cheeks were still red. Her lips too. I just felt like I needed to kiss them. 

"It's bad luck to kiss someone that's not awake." A voice said.

I turned around, and to my surprise it was Kriss.

"Say's who?"

"I don't know! I made it up so you wouldn't kiss her."

"Kriss!" I yelled. "How would that matter? I'm choosing America. She's the One."

"But Maxon! I could be the one! I could be your one!" She yelled. "I love you! But you fail to give me the same affection." 

"That's because the affection isn't there!" I yelled at her.

"What do you mean? "The affection isn't there?" It always had been. You've been to blind to see for yourself."

"Kriss, I can't love you. Not when America's  is close to death. I would be too selfish."

"She was selfish to be dating that guard when you were dating her." She said with a smile to her face.

"How do you know about that?" 

"I said with my own two eyes, and if I were you, I would consider trying to be affectionate towards me before I turn America in. You would see that guard and America canned. but this time... I don't think a caning would do it."

"Kriss. You wouldn't."

"Try me"

And with that. She just left.