Obsessed

"Yes Honey?" She replied.

"Mom, I can't keep doing this. I can't make myself calm down. I can't do anything about it, and I just figured out I'm the most selfish person in this palace." 

"Maxon, you're not selfish at all. Not one bit. You chose America. Your father didn't agree, but you didn't care one bit! You chose America because she makes you happy. If that makes you happy, it makes me happy."

"But mother, her body stressed out because I had the bright idea to talk to her. To talk about everything she missed out on. How is that not being selfish?"

"Maxon, it just proves that you care about her. Do you feel that way about Kriss?"

"No, it's just that Kriss is somewhat manipulative. She threatened America, and myself."

"Kriss? I don't believe you, what kind of leverage does she have against America?"

"Not sure" I lied. 

"Well, I need to get to another meeting, the advisors are thinking of allowing you and whomever you've chosen to be King and Queen."

"Really?" 

"Yes. Only, your future Queen has to be awake to do that."

"Alright. Just, can you give me some more advice? You've always understood more than father."

She nodded and was on her way. Honestly, I didn't want to tell her that her advice was the one that caused America's stress, she already had so much on her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maxon, when is wedding planning on your agenda? I thought I told you to send America home." A voice said. Immediately I knew it was father. I couldn't get away now. Damn

"I know that you told me to send her away, but honestly I can't. She's in a terrible condition."

"What condition? Now that you've mentioned it, you've never really explained what happened to America that made you want her so much. You wanted Kriss, but now you want America? Such a downgrade."

"America was my choice, as I have said before. I do not plan on changing that, but I do in fact intend to change her condition. As of right now, she is in a coma. Asleep for an estimated of 2 months."

"Ugh, 2 months is enough time to get married. To Kriss. Get to it."

"Kriss can't make me happy like America can."

"Maxon! Your happiness is second to this country! Your happiness is irrelevant when you have a country on the line! Such selfishness."

There it was. I thought I was the only one to think that. Apparently, even my father thinks I'm selfish.

"America is my choice. As I have said dozens of times."

"I still think that America's condition is something else."

"I can assure you father, it's just a coma."

"That lasts for 2 months?"

"Yes"

"Fine then." He said walking up the stairs. At that point, I knew exactly what was going on. Doctor Ashlar better not say anything about this.

I walked up with him to make sure I knew where he was going, and I plan on making it as far as America as possible. 

He walked up the stairs and went past Doctor Ashlars office, so I decided not to follow in case of being caught by him. 

"Prince Maxon, I didn't expect to see you here," Said Mary.

"Right, I was just wandering around." I lied. "It gets boring without America." 

"America's fine you know?" She said.

"How do you know?"

"Didn't you hear? America opened her eyes, It was just for a sec, but Doctor Ashlar indicates that she will soon be able to get on her feet again."

"What?! How was I not informed of this?!"

"I don't know, you probably want to ask Doctor Ashlar." 

"Damn right I will," I said storming out of the hallway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor Ashlar?"

"Yes?" 

"How's America's condition? I heard she woke up" I tried to be as calm as I could, seeing what happened when I tried to talk to her." 

"She opened her eyes yesterday. I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to get your hopes up."

"Why? Am I not strong enough to hear about my love's pain?"

"I don't know Your Majesty, you seemed quite obsessed with her." She said while smiling.

"True." I smiled back.

"Anyways, that should mean that she is strong enough to wake up soon. Say within the week? Next week?" 

"Perfect." That means I could stall Kriss and the "marriage" that my father tried to set up. 

I kissed America on her forehead and looked at her. Hoping she would open her eyes. 

"America? Please, come back so we can get married." 

I need you.