Faults

"Oh, Maxon...." Kriss embraced me. "You know? I've enjoyed our time in the garden, though I would really appreciate if you added more roses to the place. Roses are just so romantic, and it just seems appropriate for the occasion that we're in."

"Kriss, we are in no "occasion" right now. You threatened me with America's life, I want nothing to do with you." I said coldly.

"That's a shame, I really like the name Kriss Schreave. Has a nice ring to it. Does it not?" She asked me.

"Oh yes, it's a wonderful name, although America Schreve sounds much better." I countered.

"Really? I bet America Leger would sound even better." Kriss smirked.

Even after I apologized, I still felt jealousy between us. Aspen was America's first love. I missed out on everything, but I couldn't do anything about it. I hated the name, America Leger. 

"You know what Kriss? This date is over." I said ending it.

"Awwwww you're so adorable! You think you're ending everything. Think again cutie!" She replied.

"Kriss, please, you can't keep me forever." 

"Actually I can, I already have your father's blessing, and I bet your mother would be more than happy for me to be her daughter." 

"Blackmail is treason, last time I checked." 

"So is sleeping with a Selected before marriage, and having an affair with another lover. I wonder what the public would pick?"

Oh no, If the public found out, they would lose all their trust in me. I would definitely lose everything I had. Even America. She would most likely be thrown into the streets and left to die, with her twins. I couldn't let that happen. Despite Kriss' unreasonable attitude, she had a point. America had two reasons, Kriss had a petty blackmail only I knew about, and I intend to keep it that way. 

"Fine, what now?" I asked.

"You know? I bet your room is so much different than it was before right? Let's see it! I mean unless you want me to reveal your deepest, darkest secret?" 

"Kriss, don't"

"Ugh, Maxon! I just want your love, the minute I was entered in that's all I wanted."

"Kriss, you made it clear that you wanted someone that you love, but honey I cannot deliver it to you."

"Why not? Because of your trashy children that can't be taken out?" 

"Kriss! You may talk all about me, but you have gone too far with children. Not to mention children who cannot defend themselves! Children who are not even able to breathe on their own. Kriss, you may have the advantage here, but I am Illea's, King. I will not "bow down" to a girl who lost the Selection." I angrily said. "This date is over whether you like it or not!" 

"Maxon..." Kriss pleaded. "Don't.."

I heard her say that as I walked out. I walked up. Walked up to see America. 

2 months? Won't I be able to do this. 2 months with Kriss? Dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.

"Mother?" I asked. "Why are you here?" 

"Just checking on my grandchildren. And America". She said with a smile. "You seemed busy so I didn't want to interrupt you, but I knew you were going to come up here sooner or later." 

She knew me too well.

"Will she be okay?" I asked her.

"Maxon honey, at this point, I'm not sure. When I was pregnant with you, I felt so weak, but look what happened. Your so strong, and you put up with your father's behaviour. Your twins will do the exact same."

"I guess you're right. But will America ever awake?"

"It takes time. It's either America or the twins. Or both." She said leaving for a meeting.

"Talk to her. I know she may not hear, but you might want to try" She said winking.

I nodded and waited for her to leave. 

"America, honey. I'm almost positive you won't hear this, but who the hell cares? I love you. I'll love you till my last breath. Until my hearts stop beating, I will never stop thinking, caring and loving you. You were my first love. I understand I was not yours, but I've forgiven you. You're the one. My one. Kriss could never. She could never fill my heart like you. Never give me energy like you. Please, give yourself enough energy to wake up to me. To sing to me once again." I said pouring my heart out.

Beep............Beep............Beep............Beep.........Beep......Beep.....Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep

What was happening? America's monitor kept beating rapidly. Faster and faster. It didn't look like it was a good thing.

"Nurse?" I cried. "Nurse!!!"

"Your Majesty, I am terribly sorry but we must ask you to wait in the waiting room." The nurse explained as she brought America a crash cart. 

Why the crash cart? Unless...

"Is America alright?! Are the twins safe?!" I demanded.

"We won't know anything until we check for ourselves. I suggest you get some sleep."

"No, I won't sleep until I know America condition." 

"Alright. Please wait here as she directed me to a room."

It seemed like years until the nurse came in

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Prince Maxon....I'm not sure you want to hear this, but...." Doctor Ashlar started.

"Is this about America?! I have the right to know!" I shouted.

"America had high blood pressure. I appear that her body was very stressed out, causing her to lose control. After proper medication, she appears to be stable for now. Although here is the part you might not want to hear."

"Uh oh."

"America's stress came from someone talking to her. She most likely heard and wanted to wake up, but because of all her nutrients going into the twins, she was not able to. Causing her internal mind to become frustrated. This is not something to be worried of, but for your sake, don't talk to her about what she lost, or what she is missing out on. Chances are she will hear."

"I understand, but to be clear, I caused this didn't I?"

"Your Majesty, I am in no place to say that. Whatever the situation may be-"

"Doctor Ashlar. I need you in a doctor view. A friend view. A family view. I caused this, didn't I?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

I did this to America. What more could I take from here? Here she was trying to recover, now I'm asking more from her. To wake up after all her strength was gone. How selfish was I?

"Mother?" I called out.