Playing The Part

"Mr and Mrs. Halstead, you are free to board. Have a great honeymoon." The young brunette cheered, returning the two boarding passes to their rightful owners, Jay and Erin Halstead.

Erin's red halter-top floral dress complimented her birkenstock sandals accordingly, her caramel locks of hair falling perfectly in top of her chest. Her ring was the best, though. It sparkled just right in the sunshine.

"Thank you." Jay replied, picking up the two duffle bags. "You ready, baby?" He guided Erin down the boarding hallway, entering the Hawaiian Airlines plane.

"Welcome to Hawaiian Airlines, we hope you have a great flight." A Hawaiian flight attendant smiled, nodding her head to the young newlyweds.

Jay and Erin both smiled in response, continuing to walk to their seats, the plane nearly full with various couples and families.

"Here we are, seats two thirty four and five." Erin smiled gladly, her eyes glistening.

Jay opened the upper compartment and put the bags inside before closing it shut and taking a seat next to Erin. "Er, you excited? A whole week in Hawaii." Jay looked over at her, Erin admiring her ring closely. "Erin?" Jay repeated after another moment.

"Yes? Sorry, the ring is so beautiful and everything, and well, I never thought I'd ever wear one." Erin smiled sadly, glancing down at her ring again.

"Erin" Jay lifted her head to look at him and she put her hand over his. "One day, you'll wear one for real. You're perfect. Who wouldn't want you?" 

Erin looked Jay in the eyes, trying with every muscle in her body not to cry. Who would want her? Why would anyone want her? She was broken. She knew nobody loved her, and she wasn't wife material, and she never would be. "Yeah, sure. You're my husband, just trying to make me feel better."

Jay's heart shattered looking at her. Did she not realize how how beautiful she was? Who wouldn't want her? He knew she had a relationship with Kelly Severide, but it didn't work out. That was a while ago, and Erin Lindsay is not the type to bounce between men. She wants something serious and meaningful.

"Erin" Jay started to trail off again, but before he could get a word out of is mouth to tell this girl in front of him how perfect and beautiful she was, a deep voice from the intercom above interrupted him.

"Passengers, welcome to Hawaiian Airlines flight 67, Chicago to Honolulu. I'm your Captain, Ross, speaking. At Hawaiian Airlines we push to have the best outcome on your flight to breathe taking Hawaii. Enjoy the flight and if you need anything, don't hesitate to alert the flight attendant. Have a wonderful flight." The whole airline chattered quietly, excited for take off.

"Erin" Jay spoke once more, touching her shoulder slightly.

"Jay, don't." Erin replied blandly, getting up to go to the restroom.

"Mr and Mrs. Halstead, would you like something to drink?" Another flight attendant asked politely.

"Yes, please. Can we both have red wine, please." Jay nodded. A drink is what he needed. This was not how the flight was suppose to be.

The attendant nodded in response and disappeared down the aisle.

"I'm sorry Jay." Erin took a seat next to him ten minutes later, Jay sipping his wine. "It's just hard."

Jay sat his wine back down and looked at her. She was so god damn beautiful. Why couldn't she see it? "What's on your mind Erin?"

Erin took a deep breathe before speaking. "Jay, it's just... I don't know, I... I mean, I don't know." Erin took a big sip of her wine before setting it back down. "I don't know."