Dreams Do Come True

Jay held tightly to Erin's hand as they made their way across the icy road of District 21.

Jay can remember the days when they walked across as only partners, friends. The tension was always between them, and the heartbreak of knowing they were only partners. The shudder of their bodies when their shoulders would brush against one another's. But now, here they were. Parents, Engaged, and Expecting Parents. Two people completely in love.

It had snowed the previous night, the snow eventually turning to ice. Jay and Erin were on edge due to the failing of Jaxton's school cancelling. It was scheduled to ice around noon, and the new parents were eager with hope school would get released early for the safety of their son and his fellow classmates and educators.

Erin's gritted her teeth back as she felt a turn in her stomach. The feeling was painful, intense. It could and almost did bring her to tears. It felt as if someone was taking her stomach and turning it, twisting it, in every way, shape, and form.

Jay got them across the street and stopped her. He hated seeing his girl like this. And because of him, she was in this pain. But, they both wouldn't take it back for anything. There was a child growing inside of her. A child he and his best friend created. This little baby, Baby Halstead, was created out of pure love between his or her parents. "Are you okay?" He looked around before dropping his hand to her growing belly. Jay couldn't wait for the secret to get out so he could put his hand on her stomach whenever he wanted. It soothed the both of them.

"Yeah, just, the baby didn't agree with breakfast, again," She brushed it off as she took a deep breathe and led the way to the front door. Erin immediately relaxed as the heat hit her face. Platt was on the phone as they walked by, waving to Jay and Erin. "Don't forget, ten week ultra sound is at two."

Jay nodded. He didn't forget. He knew it was today. "What will we tell Hank?" How could he forget?

"We'll cross that bridge when it comes." Erin replied, walking up the stairs. The team was already at their desks, following leads in the case that they were already given. Everyone waved as Erin and Jay parted ways, both taking a seat at their desks.

"Erin," Her head cocked up to the sound of the gruff voice calling her name. She stood up and Hank closed the door behind her. "How are you doing, kid?"

"I'm doing great," she smiled. Her wedding day was in a week, she had the most amazing son and fiancé, and in six and a half months Baby Halstead would be here.

"Good," he picked up the piece of card-stock that was sitting on his desk and read over the words again in his head.

A healthy relationship is one that starts with

Two people who sacrifice everything for one another.

Your presence has been requested by:

Erin Lindsay and Jay Halstead

January, 27th, 2018

Adler Planetarium 6:00 reception to follow at eight

Today is the beginning of forever

"I'm so proud of you, kid," Hank put the invitation back on his desk before embracing Erin in his arms. He kissed the top of her head. "I didn't even know this existed until I found it in the office at home."

"Thanks, dad." She replied, wrapping her arms around his. "And Jay and I sent them out before Thanksgiving. Camille must've been hiding it from you." She never would have thought fifteen years ago she would be here. Be a detective, have a loving family, an incredible fiancé, or a son and a baby on the way. Not in a million years. "Thank you for taking me in. For everything,"