Today Was Long Overdue

"Halstead, let's go," He nodded and followed his boss up. "Put your hand on here. It's a scanner so from now on it will know who you are and you can buzz yourself up automatically," Jay did as he was told and watched as the machine turned different colors under his sweaty palm.

He hoped his combat boots, jeans, and a blue short sleeve Henley shirt was acceptable on his first day. The machine beeped and he lifted his hand back into his jean pockets. "So do we always come in at seven thirty?"

The man shook his head. He had a blank expression on his face, a serious one. "No. If I don't call you in the middle of the night or let you know the pervious day, then it's eight a.m. sharp. I brought you in early," He motioned for Jay to follow him up the stairs, "Because I thought we could go over guidelines and how I work my unit. Everyone will be in around eight."

They reached the top of the stairs and Jay surveyed the room. There was eight desks, only four of them looking occupied. The sky blue walls were decorated with flags, pictures and Cubs, Bears, and Blackhawks wall art. Hank pointed to the desk near another door. "This is your's, Jay. The others will come later, and you can introduce yourself," Jay continued to follow his boss through the room. "Down that hallway, there are two interrogation rooms, both on your left, and the locker room is on your right. We are the only ones who use it, so just find a locker later today," He stopped in front of another room. "This, is the break room. Bring a coffee mug, that's a rule they have. There is a couch but usually people don't use it because they have work to do."

Jay nodded as he took all of it in, remembering a few key notes his boss told him. He nodded and closed the door as he sat in one of the chairs in his boss' office. The office was decorated with photo frames and awards he had plastered on the walls. He looked at one of the pictures hanging on the wall and couldn't help but smile.

His boss had a family. A wife and two kids. That was a good sign. His boss must have some type of empathy since he has a wife and two children. "You know I'm Sergeant Hank Voight," He took a seat behind his desk, looking at a few files. "Jay, it says you were a Rangers?"

Jay nodded. His Ranger days brought back good and bad memories, but he was very prideful of his service. "Yes, sir. I served a few tours. I got an honorable discharge when I was shot in the chest."

Hank nodded. "Thank you for your service, Jay," he looked down at the papers and back to his new detective. "And then you moved back here and got a gig with the Undercover Unit?"

"Yes. I'm from here. My brother is a doctor at Chicago Med. My dad and I don't talk often, long story, and my mother died of cancer in between my two tours." He sat up straight, pushing the grieving memories of his mother's death to the back of his head.

"I'm sorry to hear that," There was a moment of silence before Voight asked him another question. "And you got shot while undercover. My detective, Antonio Dawson, is the one who got you hired."

Jay nodded once more. "Correct. I got shot in the shoulder and abdomen. He told me I could pick a unit and I told him Intelligence."

"I have a lot of respect for Detective Dawson. He has great judgement, so when I looked at your resume, I was stunned. A retired war veteran and injured detective. I hope you are who he says you are," Hank looked down at his watch.

8:15 a.m.

He opened his desk drawer and looked down at the shiny object in his palm. "Here is your badge, Jay. Wear that with great honor and respective. Not only are you representing the CPD, but you're also representing Intelligence, me, and your colleagues. I assume you have a gun?"