The Presents Life Gives You

2 Weeks Later

"Erin Halstead," Jay smiled as she walked into the living room, taking a seat next to him on the couch. "How's the twins?" He asked, resting his hand on her shoulder.

Erin blushed hearing her new name. She could never get tired of hearing it. "They're starving. That nap just made them hungrier." She rested her hand on her growing stomach as she spoke to her husband.

"Well, the Alfredo is almost done. Julie, Craig, and Carson will be here any minute for supper," As if on cue, the door opened and Carson walked in.

"Carson! Don't just walk in." Julie scolded as she popped her head in as Erin and Jay stood up to greet their friends at the door.

"He's okay, Julie. He's like our second son," Jay smiled as he patted Carson on the back before Carson took off up the stairs. "How have you folks been? We haven't seen you since the wedding."

"We've been good. We actually want to talk to you guys about something," Craig replied as he closed the door behind him, hanging their coats on the coat rack. "Erin, looking great. You two must be ecstatic." Craig complimented her as the four adults walked into the kitchen.

"Thank you, Craig. We're beyond excited. We find out the genders in four weeks. Then it'll all be decorating the nurseries." Erin pulled out three wine glasses and filled a glass for each of her friends while she settled for water. "What did you want to talk about?" She asked as she took a seat next to Jay and across from Julie and Craig at the bar.

"Well, our friends, they are both in the Navy Reserves, and both are getting deployed. So, they want us to adopt their little girl. We are her Godparents, and we want to. How do we go about this?" Julie explained. "Since you both adopted Jax."

Erin and Jay nodded, and Jay took the lead. "How hold is she?"

"Fourteen. The boys' age. Her name is Kami. She gets along great with Carson. They both play basketball, and both grew up together." Craig shrugged his shoulders. "They are getting deployed next week. And they want us to take her."

"Well, there is obviously a good reason why they want to sign off parental rights. Or is it temporary?"

"It doesn't look like they'll be back by time soon. If they come back while she is still a minor, then we'd sign them back over. They just want this to happen in case something happens to them." Julie was watching her husband speak, her nerves calming down.

"Well, I would talk to both of your attorneys. If all five of you agree, you have the best reason to make it happen, then do it. It should be done within a few days, especially since they are both in the military. The state makes that their top priority." Jay would know from his time in Rangers. "I'd give your attorney a call tonight and talk."

Erin gripped her husband's shoulder, proud of him. She fell more in love with him everyday. He was such a great father, detective, brother, and so much more. She could never ask for anything else from him.

"We'll do that right now. Or I will." Craig left the room, Jay following behind to help his buddy.

Erin and Julie were left in the kitchen, the aroma of chicken Alfredo filling the air. "So, Erin, are you excited about everything?"

Erin smiled lightly, glancing down to her small bump. "Beyond excited. I can't wait until we find out the genders so we can start the nurseries."

"I bet. I'll be more than happy to help decorate or design. I actually have a minor in interior design. You've seen our house, it's very decorated." Julie laughed, taking a small sip of her wine.