61. Morgan Rielly (Toronto Maple Leafs #44)

Hi all! This is a new imagine and it wasn't requested. It was actually more or less based loosely on events that happened last summer. The prompt is; 'Morgan Rielly, Y/N's grandma dies and she must go home.'
I hope you enjoy! 💕
—————
"Y/N, your grandma passed away this morning." Her dad states over the phone. Y/N sucks in a breath her chest tightening. She couldn't cry, she wouldn't.
"Thanks for letting me know. I'm leaving to come home as soon as I can." She whispers not trusting her voice.
"I love you kiddo. I'll see you when you get home." She nods.
"Bye dad."
"Bye." She shuts her phone off and pulls her suitcase out of the closet. She stares at her closet finding things to wear. She pulls out a black dress and throws it in the suitcase before grabbing six outfits to ensure she had enough for however long she would be home for. This is how Morgan finds her and his stomach drops.
"Are you leaving me?" He asks. "I'm so sorry for whatever I did but please don't leave me." He begs. Y/N turns to him with tears in her eyes.
"My grandma died this morning Morgan." She whimpers and his eyes soften as she runs towards him. He wraps his arms around her rocking her back and forth as she sobs her wall breaking down.
"Doll, you're alright. It's gonna be okay breathe for me." He soothes and she hiccups trying to breathe.
"I just sent her a letter and everything and she won't even get to read it Morgan." She whimpers as he rubs his back.
"I'm so sorry my baby. She loved you I'm sure and would have loved your letter." He whispers kissing the top of her head.
"Have you lost anyone?"
"I have. My grandparents are gone and it was hard. They were so kind hearted and loving Y/N I am so sorry for your loss. Would you like me to come back with you?" She nods against his chest feeling more like a nuzzle than a nod. "Would you like me to book the tickets?" She shrugs.
"You don't have to trust me. I'll understand if you don't want to."
"I'll go do it if you want to finish packing?"
"Deal, I have to go and grab some pictures from the closet that I have of my Grandma and I."
"Go then baby. Go!" She pulls away from him with a giggle and goes back to packing wiping at her eyes sadly.
Arriving at Y/N's family home created fresh tears to form in her eyes.
"I don't know if I can do this Morgan. I'm just not sure I can go in there." She says pressing her face into his warm chest.
"It's alright love. I know you can do this and I'm right behind you when you need me." He plants a kiss on the top of her head.
"Well let's get this over with." She sighs and the two enter the house.
"Y/N!!" Her little brother Y/B/N greets wrapping her in a huge bear hug.
"I missed you so much. How's mom?" She asks.
"Mom's fine, she's being strong for dad though." He shrugs.
"And how are you??"
"I'm about as good as someone who just lost their grandma can be. How are you holding up though?"
"I've been better but I have to be strong."
"You know it's okay to cry and be upset. Grandma just died, its a sad time for all of us."
"I guess. I miss her, even if she was nuts." She giggles sniffling.
"She was a very sweet woman." Morgan interjects and Y/N jumps momentarily forgetting that he was behind her. "Relax baby, it's just me." Morgan soothes.
"Sorry," she whispers laying back into him.
"Yes she was Morgan. It's good to see you again," Y/B/N says shaking Morgan's hand.
"You too Y/B/N. I'm sorry about your grandma. It's terrible when you lose someone you love." The pair of siblings nod their heads in agreement.
~ the day of the funeral ~
"I can't face everyone and their pity." Y/N mumbles laying back on her childhood bed. Morgan fixes his tie and lays back on the bed with her taking her hand in his.
"They just want to express how sorry they are about your grandma."
"I don't need their pity morgan. I don't want it!" She exclaims heaving heavily.
"I know you don't love, I know. But for today you have to suck it up and deal with it for the sake of your family. Please, only for a few hours and then you can go back to hating pity." He grabs her chin softly and forces her to look at him. "Please, just for a few hours baby." Y/N sighs and nods in agreement.
"Fine, I will but only for my family. No one else, no one." Morgan kisses her.
"I can live with that. Thank you love." She smiles.
"Anytime, we should probably get this show on the road."
"You didn't just say that." Morgan stared at her in mock shock.
"I did, bet you never heard that come out of my mouth."
"Never but i guess now I have."
"Right baby, lets go." Morgan stands up and grabs her hands pulling her up into his chest.

At the funeral Y/N sits in between Morgan and her brother as the pastor gave the service.
"And now Y/G/N's granddaughter Y/N is going to sing hallelujah. So if Y/N could come up that would be wonderful, whenever you're ready dear." The older man smiles finding Y/N in the crowd.
"You sing?" She shrugs.
"I used to, my grandma and I did it often and when I moved to Toronto I never kept up with it." She moves to head to where the pastor is and she takes the mic.
"Hi everyone I'm Y/N as you may have heard and back when I was a little girl my grandma used to play the piano for me and we used to sing and well it was our thing. So this song is for my grandma as I know she's looking down on us." She looks at the roof momentarily before grabbing the mic and heading to the piano. Setting the mic in the holder she begins to play the hymn. "Now I've heard there was a secret chord, that David played and it pleased the lord..." she's in tears by the end of the song and walks over to the pastor to hand him the mic back.
"Thank you sweetheart you did amazing." She sniffles and smiles before walking back to Morgan and her brother.
"You were amazing Y/N, grandma would be so proud." Her brother says giving her a hug.
"Thank you Y/B/N, I hope I did her favourite song justice."
"You were incredible. I didn't know you could sing like that." Morgan states in utter awe.
"Well love, not many people do. It was my secret that died when I moved to Toronto."
"You should show more people your gift."
"Morgan's right and grandma would want that. She wouldn't want you to bottle it all up for no one to hear." Y/N contemplates it and turns back to the service. 'Grandma if I should do it please give me a sign.' She thinks and soon after a light shines in from the stained glass window on the piano and she smiles. 'There's my sign, thanks grandma' she sniffles leaning into Morgan's side.
"Ill do it, I won't keep it bottled up." She says and the two boys smile for one of the first times during this service.

———
So I've had this in my works for almost a year. Roughly 8 months and it was brought forth when my grandma passed away and this is what ensued so I hope you enjoyed it as bleak and sad as it was.