It's not my fault... is it?

Kayleigh's POV

Waking up without Xavier is not good I felt alone but also, I was a lot colder which is weird since I slept in an attic for years. Sliding out of bed, I walked to the closet I now shared with Xavier. I had decided on a casual look. I put on some skinny ripped jeans and a plain red top and some blue sandals before I walked out of the room. I could already tell something was wrong. The atmosphere inside the packhouse was dark, making me feel anxious. I spotted Carl. "What's happened?" I asked, as he looked down at me with a sad look.

"You haven't heard?" I shook my head no causing him to sigh, "A pack member has been murdered by a Dark Moon warrior."He said grimly. I gasped I let the information sink in and my heartbeat quickened.

"It's my fault." I whispered to more to myself than Carl. The words kept on repeating themselves in my head. Carl sat me down and got me a glass of water, I didn't move from that spot it was like I was rooted to the soft fabrics of this seat.

I couldn't help the overall sadness and guilt that I felt for everybody. It's my fault, and there is only one way to stop this from happening again. I had to go so Alpha Ryan won't attack anyone else I had to go rogue but that meant I had to leave Xavier and this pack I had really started to feel at home here but now I must leave to protect them because it's the only thing I can do.

Running upstairs I stop and think where will I go deciding I'll find out when I get there I run into the room and grabbing a bag I began stuffing it with clothes undergarments and I took one of Xavier's tops I bolted downstairs where I stuffed another bag full of food and drink also I grabbed matches and a lighter zipping the bag shut. I sighed sadly before I made my escape.

I looked around, and no one was. For an Alpha's house there not much security, but that may be down to the planning of that girl's funeral. Slipping through the back door I went behind the tree and shifted, I picked up the bags and locked my jaw around the handles; I ran as fast as my legs would let me. I had headed north. I felt the gush of air rush through me as I left pack territory, leaving me breathless; I am now technically a rogue.

I couldn't help but feel sad because I didn't say goodbye, but I know if I would have stayed more innocent people would have been killed and I couldn't deal with the guilt. Plus im one hundred and ten percent sure Xavier wouldn't let me leave. My heart felt heavy as I thought of him.

I have been running for hours, my lungs are screaming at me to rest; I came across an abandoned house/shack thing that's when I stopped running; I know I was far enough from Xavier's pack to avoid being found. I shifted back and quickly got dressed. I pushed the door open; it creaked the entire time, reminding me of those horror movies where the dumb character would so clearly walk into danger. I was now that dumb character. I used my night vision to navigate my surroundings, there was a small fireplace I could use to keep warm, I silently thanked the moon goddess for this small luxury.

Gathering some wood from the outside I placed them inside, I lit a match and watch the wood erupt into a beautiful flame. My stomach growled loudly I grabbed the bag full of food and opened it and began snacking I felt Xavier pushing for the link for maybe a second my resolve crumbled and he got through, his voice invaded my mind "I got your note where are yo-" I cut him off by closing the link as hard as it was to do so I needed to. I couldn't let him get hurt because of me. I wouldn't allow it. I continued to eat but now I had an unbearable amount of guilt hanging over me I thought I'd done the right thing by me leaving but feeling the sadness in his voice made me think otherwise. I hurt him to protect him.

I kept telling myself this. If I opened myself up to the possibility of me leaving for any other reason, I'd crumble which wasn't an option I had to remain strong for them I just had to.

***************************

Aw no...

What will happen next?

Will she return?

Continue reading to find out...