3. Mud

"Hey, you're Santana Lopez" he looked overly helpful, the math club type of guy.

As if I didn't know my own name. He was tall, blonde and green eyed. Behind him stood two other girls. One asian and the other was black.

"I am" I said as I kept walking with them just behind me. 

"We saw how Quinn treated you in class the other day.. Pretty messed up" the asian girl said and stood beside me now "you can sit with us at lunch.. If you want" she said again.

I considered it to be honest. These people were nerds, it was obvious. I still had no choice, it was either sit with them or hide in the school yard with my lunchbox on my knees. Pathetic. I looked out the window and that was what made me sure about my choice. All I could see was thick fog, you could barely see the sky. It was like being in a cage.

At lunch, we sat at one of those round tables. I didn't spot the cheerleader clique at all today so I was kind of relieved. The people I was with, honestly, I didn't know their names but it felt so damn awkward. I didn't fit in. However, I tried to be nice although I felt uncomfortable. I tried to be social and speak now and then. They asked me about where I come from and I answered them with short answers. I can't lie though, they were nice people. No one else here approached me and tried to befriend me for the whole week I was here. I know it's not a lot but people were nothing but ignorant and rude. 

"So how do you like it here?" the other girl asked.

"It's okay, I guess" 

"You sound insecure about your answer" she said again and laughed. 

"I am" I admitted "I haven't really experienced the best of New York just yet" I sarcastically said and half smiled.

"We can be your friends" the asian girl said.

"I didn't really ask for any friends" I said.

"Oh.." 

"It doesn't mean I couldn't use some friends" I said again when I noticed what I said moments earlier sounded a bit rude. 

"Oh, okay," she said and her face lightened "you need to hang with the right people to like New York" she said and her two friends agreed.

"Well well, what do we have here" I heard and turned around.

It was her. The cheerleader who's name I most recently learned, Quinn. Her friend was with her. 

"What do you want now?" I asked.

"I see you got yourself new friends" she said in a wondering tone with a crooked smile on her face.

"Yes I have, does it bother you?"

"Don't get stuck up"  her friend said now, the taller blonde cheerleader.

I studied her face apprehensively. I didn't understand what their problem was, still, I ignored them now. I could feel them still standing behind me. I just didn't bother to look back anymore. They were acting like five year olds. One minute after they noticed I wouldn't give them one more second of my attention, they walked away and I found them on the other side of the room. I looked at my new friends now, waited for them to say something because they had been quiet this whole time.

"Are those girls always like that?" I asked to break the annoying silence.

"Yeah, kind of. They've always been on everyone's back. They act like they're everything. Especially Quinn" the dark girl said.

"What's the other one like?"

"Just like Quinn, the only difference is that she doesn't get the chance to say much because Quinn is like the boss of all those cheerleader girls"