20. Date

"Did you get sad when you didn't get crowned prom queen?" I asked Quinn.

"What made you think of that?" she asked, a smile grew on her lips.

"I don't know"

"You just never know, do you?" she ashed the cigarette and squinted.

I was thinking about prom and how I after all didn't go anyway, even though I promised my friends I would. It was months ago but I just thought of it. I remembered that Quinn went around school and hung up posters on the walls so people would vote for her and yet she didn't get voted prom Quinn.

"I guess not"

"To answer your question, no I didn't get sad. Stuff like that don't bug me, not anymore"

"How come?"

"I guess I grew up from it" she took another puff.

"Alright"

"Do you want to try?" she looked at me and handed the cigarette for me to take.

"No, not really" I said and watched her put it back between her lips.

"Good" she smiled.

We sat down on the usual bench, the usual spot. She had finished smoking during our little walk around the park. I don't know how but it just became where we wanted to be when we were together, maybe it was because we never saw people we knew there. It was always only old people and random grown ups walking their dogs. No young people ever hung out around the park. We could be alone without worrying about someone seeing us together.

"So I was invited to a party, it's in two weeks or so.. My friend is moving to England so he wants to gather all his friends"

"Yeah?"

"Come with me this time"

"I don't know.." I said.

"Please?"

"What kind of party is it?"

"It's the same guy who threw it last time, when I told you to come with me and Brit." I listened carefully "It's this college guy"

"Is it at his house?"

"Yeah, huge house by the way" she added.

"Is Brittany going?" I asked.

"I think so"

"Fine"

"Fine?"

"I'll come with you"

"You are?" her face lightened.

"How do you even know all these people?" I asked.

"Older people are funnier to hang out with" she said.

"Yeah but how did you get to know them?" I asked again.

"I don't know, really.. Work and stuff" she said.

"Alright"

I felt kind of ambivalent about saying yes to go to that pary with her. I wouldn't know anyone, what if when we got there she started to hang out with her friends and forget about me? It would also be weird having Brittany there, me and Quinn wouldn't be able to act the way we want to. We had to act like friends. Still I really wanted to go with her and see what kind of people she likes to really hang out with after school.

"You know, Lopez-"

"Santana" I corrected her.

"Santana," she laughed "we've never actually gone out on a real date" she reached for my hand and grabbed it.