7. B

Prom was a month away. All I saw Quinn Fabray walking around and nearly begging people to vote for her as prom queen. I was hoping she would win, she looked like the girl who goes to high school only to become prom queen and then brag about it until she turns forty and her children finally tell her it's enough. I would never want to be prom queen. I wouldn't even go to prom, not at this school, if it wasn't for my friends. Mercedes and Rachel especially, insisted. I had to go. Otherwise I was "boring".

Two weeks ago Quinn swore she would get back at me for kicking her ass. She hadn't laid a finger on me ever since, which I thank God for, she'll lose the hand she touches me with next if she tries to physically hurt me ever again. My ribs were still sore after our fight, not as much as before but they were. The school nurse had given me a lotion that actually helped a lot. My gutshot wasn't as painful from the start so the pain from that area moved quickly.

I looked for them, my friends, before going to class. And finally, they found me. I heard someone shout my name and I looked back. Behind me stood Tina and Rachel. I remembered we were going out later today. I had to let them down, I promised my mother last week that I would go shopping with her. I had forgotten about it, that's why I thanked yes to Rachel's offer about going with them to Manhattan. I had no idea what they were going to do there but I guessed I'd rather do that than stay inside alone. However, the plans changed for me when I recalled the plans I had made with my mom.

Last period went really fast. I stumbled through the last lessons until it was time to get home, my mother was already waiting outside. Of course, when it was time for her to get herself stuff, she was right on time. Sometimes I was just too much like my mother. It wasn't hard to notice who taught me what I know.

"Mom, seriously I'm not hungry" I tried to insist as my mother ignored me and parked the car outside the restaurant.

"Well I am" she said.

She walked to the door of the restaurant and held it open with a determined look on her face. Obviously, I had no say in this so I just went with it without arguing about it anymore. I walked in front of her into the chinese place with a sigh silently leaving my breath. The restaurant was kind of crowded - it looked like a popular place. The host was a dark haired guy with green eyes, probably some years older than me, wearing a white shirt tucked into his black pants. I understood the look in his eyes as he assessed me. He was a little more welcoming than neccessary. I was amazed by how much his cheeky presence bothered me.

"A table for two?" his voice allured.

"Yes, thank you" my mother politely smiled.

He led us to a table big enough for a whole family even though we agreed on a table for two. It was in the middle of the most crowded area of the restaurant.

"Is this okay? It's crowded, as you can see" he flashed his smile pointed at me.

"No problem" mother happily said as she watched him stare at me without even picking on what she answered "are you finding anything you like?" she sarcastically asked to catch his attention again.

"Yeah um, " he cleared his throat "your server will be here in a moment" he said and unsteadily walked away.

"What the hell was his problem" I laughed.

"I think he got a little crush on you," my mother joked "didn't you notice how he tried to talk to you all the time instead of me. I noticed directly when we walked in that he found you interesting"

The good thing about me and my mother was that we can talk about stuff like this without it getting awkward. We have that kind of connection and it's not hard for us to talk, we always find something interesting to say to each other. My dad on the other hand, would be rude to the host if he noticed his flirty ways towards me. He thinks I'm too young for dating or flirting with people even though I'm 18. I always tell him to come see other girls my age - he'd get a heart attack.