20; rose gold

Their food came, and Mitch was happily digging into his Berry Berry Banana French Toast when he noticed his Alpha wasn't eating. He tilted his head, curious. "Whatcha doin', Alpha?" he asked, and Scott looked up from the screen of his phone to meet Mitch's eyes.

"Sorry, sweetheart. My dad just texted me."

Mitch frowned slightly and glanced around, but he didn't see an Alpha that looked remotely close to Scott. "Texted? What does that mean?"

Scott smiled slightly and held up his phone, tapping it gently. "This is my phone. He can text me through here, or send me a message. I can read it and respond."

Mitch's eyes widened and he reached out to touch the cool metal of the phone. "Whoa," he breathed, and Scott couldn't help but laugh.

"Yeah. We'll have to get you a phone, just in case I'm at the shop and something happens to you."

"But I'll always go to the shop with you, Alpha. I don't like being without you."

"I don't like being without you either, darling, but one day you might be feeling sick and want to stay home. You could use your phone to text me or call me if you need anything."

"Call?"

"Yeah. When you call someone, you can hear their voice and they can hear yours."

"Whoa," Mitch repeated in a whisper, staring at Scott's phone with wide eyes. "An object that magical must be very expensive, Alpha..."

Scott laughed and shrugged slightly, sliding his phone into his pocket. "It's not that bad. Just around seven hundred fifty dollars."

Mitch's wide eyes darted up to Scott's face. "Seven hundred fifty dollars? How many French toasts can you buy with that, Alpha?" he asked, awe in his voice.

Scott smiled and did the math in his head. "Well, let's see. If the Berry Berry Banana French Toast is around fifteen dollars, and an iPhone costs around seven hundred fifty, you could buy approximately fifty French toasts."

Mitch's eyes widened even more, and he looked down at his French toast. "That's a lot of French toasts, Alpha. You don't need to spend that much money on me."

"But I want to. Besides, there's a lot of other things you can do on your phone," Scott told him, getting it out again and showing Mitch all the apps he had. "See? Each of these has a different function. Most of them are games since I am actually a child, but one has my music, and there's a camera to take pictures, and you could use the calendar app to keep track of your Heats. Then, of course, there's always the messaging app and the calling app."

Fascinated, Mitch reached out to touch one of the icons, but he jumped and jerked back when the app opened. "Oh, no. Alpha, I broke it," he whimpered, tears forming in his eyes. "I'm sorry. Please don't punish me."

Scott shook his head and reached over to cup his cheek, brushing away his tears. "You didn't break it, my love. You just opened the app. When you touch the icons, that's what opens it. This one is a game called Doodle Jump," he explained gently, and Mitch sniffled, rubbing his eyes.

"How do you get out of it?"

Scott showed him the home button, taking his hand and placing it on it. "You just press this."

Hesitantly, Mitch did so, and relief washed over him when the screen showed all of the icons again. "Oh."

Scott chuckled and put his phone away once more. "Eat your food, angel. You're still really skinny," he reminded him gently, picking up his own fork.

Mitch nodded slightly and took another bite. "Yes, Alpha."

When they finished eating, Scott decided he was going to get Mitch a phone right then, so he started the walk to the mall. Mitch pressed himself into Scott's side and held his hand tightly, resting his head on his shoulder. Scott smiled and kissed his hair, and Mitch giggled with a light blush. "I love it when you kiss me, Alpha."