36; lost

Things fell apart a few months later. One day, Mitch stayed home from the flower shop as usual to care for Jake as usual. When he kissed Scott goodbye, he didn't know it would be the last time they would see each other for a while.

Scott didn't come home that night. Mitch got more and more worried as the hours passed, but he had to hide it to keep Jake from knowing.

It was the first night he'd spent alone since their wedding. He had a nightmare, and he couldn't get back to sleep after. He just sat in bed, holding one of Scott's sweatshirts to his chest, tears steadily streaming down his cheeks. Scott wouldn't leave, would he?

Mitch eventually decided to turn on the TV. Maybe it would distract him from his thoughts.

"Four Alphas by the names of Bryce Stone, Zach Braun, Derrick Carpenter, and Luke Brown have reportedly escaped from California State Prison this morning," the news anchor said, and Mitch's blood ran cold. "Any information on these criminals should be sent to the police immediately, as these Alphas were imprisoned for the abuse of the Omega in their pack. Keep your Omegas close to you, and we will keep you updated on their whereabouts. They were last seen around the Starbucks on Central Avenue. Stay safe, everyone."

Mitch let out a soft sob and held himself tighter. Scott had to have been kidnapped by his old Alphas. They were probably mad at him for taking Mitch away. His mind immediately began racing, but he told himself that he would know if they killed him because of Scott's Mark on his neck. He would be able to feel the connection fade.

He turned off the TV and grabbed his phone, his shaking fingers dialing Connie's number even though it was even later in Texas. She would know what to do.

"Mitch?" Her groggy voice spoke through the phone, and Mitch just about collapsed from relief.

"Ma'am, I'm so sorry," he sobbed softly, holding Scott's sweatshirt tighter. "Alpha got kidnapped, I'm almost positive. My old Alphas escaped from prison, ma'am, and h-he didn't come home from work. It's all my fault. I'm so sorry, ma'am. Please come stay with me, I- I'm scared. Please, ma'am."

Connie was having trouble keeping up, as she was still half-asleep. "Whoa, whoa. What? Say that again?"

"Alpha was kidnapped, ma'am, my old Alphas escaped, it's on the news. Please, please come stay with me and Jakey. I'm so scared," Mitch whimpered, trembling almost violently.

Connie's eyes widened, and she nodded as she sat up. "Y-Yeah. Of course. Call the police, Rick and I will be on the first flight out."

Mitch whimpered again and nodded before he realized she couldn't see him. "Yes, ma'am. I'm so sorry," he whispered. "Thank you." He hung up, and he immediately dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"M-My Alpha was kidnapped, ma'am, h-he didn't come home from work a-and my old Alphas esc-caped, please help me—"

"Whoa, calm down, honey. What's your name?"

"M-Mitch, ma'am. Mitch Grassi-Hoying." Mitch jumped at a sound from the outside, and he whimpered as he pulled Scott's sweatshirt closer to his chest. "My old Alphas escaped from prison, ma'am, a-and I think they took my Alpha."

"Were your old Alphas Bryce Stone, Zach Braun, Derrick Carpenter, and Luke Brown?"

"Yes, ma'am, a-and my Alpha didn't come h-home from work, I- I think they took h-him."

"When was the last time you saw your Alpha?"

"Th-This morning, ma'am. A-At about eight."

"Okay, honey. I'm going to need you to give a full description of your Alpha, okay? Everything."

"O-Okay... Um..." Mitch took a moment to try and stop his voice from shaking so much. "H-He has blue eyes, and wavy blond hair, and he's about six th-three... He was wearing, um, h-his work uniform when he left today..."

"Can you describe that for me?"

"I-It's a white shirt with a little bouquet of flowers in the corner, a-and the words 'Hoying's Flowers' around it, and he had black pants on with b-black shoes."

"Any tattoos, piercings...?"

"He- He has a rose tattoo on his arm, b-but I think that's it," Mitch whispered.

"Okay. Thank you, honey. I'm going to need you to bring in a picture of him in the morning and then we'll be able to start looking right away. Do you have any idea where your old Alphas might have taken him?"

"Um..." Mitch closed his eyes, struggling to remember the places he frequently visited in his nightmares. "Th-They used to take me to an old house in the woods when they wanted to throw big parties, ma'am, but I- I don't know where it is. I'm sorry."

"That's alright. Thank you. I promise we'll find your Alpha."

After the operator hung up, Mitch squeezed his eyes shut against his tears and buried his face in Scott's sweatshirt, sobbing softly. Scott was gone.

+++

"Oh, my God. You're suck a fucking idiot," Bryce snarled, hitting Carson up the back of his head. "Why the fuck did you kidnap him? We told you to get Mitch."

Carson scowled and pushed him away, brushing himself off. "What are you talking about? That is Mitch," he slurred before he took a swig of his beer. "Smells just like him."

Luke groaned and slapped his hand to his forehead. "No, stupid. That's his new Alpha. Bryce, why the fuck did we get your idiot brother to do it? Why not just do it ourselves?"

Bryce rolled his eyes and turned to glare at him. "Because we're fucking wanted criminals, Luke. He's not."

Derrick sighed and knelt beside the motionless body of Scott, feeling his pulse. "Should we let him go?"

"No, of course not. Maybe we can trade him for Mitch or something," Bryce said, crossing his arms over his chest and letting his eyes trail down Scott's body. "And he's not that bad-looking either. I bet he's tight as fuck. Never submitted before." He smirked. "Tie him up, we don't want him trying to escape."

Before long, confused blue eyes opened, and Bryce watched as Scott looked around. As soon as he realized he wasn't at home, he tried to stand. Even though his muscles bulged through his shirt, the binds were tight, and he couldn't. Chuckling, Bryce stepped forward. "You're awake."

Scott quickly looked towards the sound of his voice, and his eyes turned red at the sight of him. "What the fuck are you doing out of prison?" he snarled, struggling to rip free of his binds.

Zach smiled and exchanged glances with Bryce. "Escaped. We missed our little Mitchy. Will you tell us where he is?"

"Never," Scott spat. "I would rather die than watch him go back to you assholes."

"Well, I guess we'll just have to find him ourselves, then." Derrick advanced towards him, tilting his head up to meet his eyes. "And in the meantime, you'll be his replacement."

Scott's eyes darkened to the color of blood, and he stomped on Derrick's foot as hard as he could with the ropes around his ankles. "I'm not afraid of you," he growled, but Bryce just laughed.

"Oh, Scotty, you really, really should be."