50; happily ever after

The car was packed full of Jake's things, and they were about ready to go. Scott and Mitch got in the front seat and Jake got in the back, and the drive started to Jake's college.

"I can't believe I'm going to college," Jake said excitedly, staring intently out of the window. "I feel like my entire life has led up to this moment."

"It has," Scott agreed. "Just don't do anything stupid, okay? Try not to drink alcohol before you're twenty-one."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Jake rolled his eyes. "I'll try not to."

Scott chuckled and squeezed Mitch's hand absentmindedly, turning back to the road. Mitch rested his head on Scott's shoulder as he gazed out the window. He was sad Jake was leaving, but he was also excited for it to just be him and his beloved Alpha. He loved his son, but he never got any alone time with Scott anymore. He was excited to cuddle with him all day long.

When they pulled up to Jake's college, Jake was quick to jump out and begin unloading the car. Scott and Mitch followed after, and they shared a kiss before Scott joined the effort. Together, they managed to get all of Jake's stuff to his dorm room, where his roommate already was. The two had met through social media, but never in person, so they shared a hug. "Hey, man!" Noah greeted, laughing. "I can't believe we're finally here!"

"I know, me neither! This is my mom and my dad, they're here to help me settle in."

Noah smiled and held his hand out for Scott to shake. "Hello, Mr. Grassi-Hoying. Mrs. Grassi-Hoying. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you." Scott smiled warmly and wrapped his arm around Mitch's waist, who just waved shyly.

Noah grinned. "I'm sure your son and I will become great friends."

"I certainly hope so. Jake, do you need anything else before we go?"

Jake shook his head. "Nope, that's everything. Thank you for your help."

"No need to thank us, Jakey. You're our son." Scott stepped forward to pull his son into a hug. "Have the best time, okay? Try your best in your classes."

"I will, Dad. I love you."

"I love you too, Jakey."

Jake pulled away to bring Mitch into a hug, bending quite a lot. "Bye, Mom. I'll come to visit, okay?" he whispered, rubbing Mitch's back. "I love you."

"I love you too, Jakey." Mitch pulled back enough to kiss his forehead. "Stay safe."

"I will." Jake smiled at them and waved as they left the dorm room.

Mitch finally allowed himself to cry when they got into the car. Scott softened and hugged him tightly. "He's going to be just fine, baby. It's time for him to take care of himself now. We've done our jobs, right?"

"Y-Yes, Alpha," Mitch whimpered, burying his face in Scott's neck. "But I don't want him to get hurt."

"He won't, angel. I promise. He's a grown Alpha, he knows how to take care of himself. It'll be okay. We'll still see him every holiday, we're not losing him forever."

"I know, Alpha." Mitch wiped his tears, smiling weakly. "I'm excited to be able to cuddle with you all day. We haven't done that in ages. I miss it."

"I miss it too, lovely. Now we can do it as much as we want."

Mitch giggled and took Scott's hand, leaning into his side as they started the drive home.

He couldn't believe how far he'd come. Just twenty-two short years ago, he'd been stuck in his old Alphas' house, his own personal hell. Every day had been a battle for survival. Now, he was living with his Alpha and husband of twenty years, and they had just dropped their son off for his first year of college. His anxiety wasn't as bad, his nightmares were pretty much nonexistent, and he was happy.

When they got home, the first thing Mitch did was tug Scott upstairs for cuddles. Scott laughed, but he obediently lay down on the bed and opened his arms for Mitch. "Come here, angel." Mitch blushed and happily crawled into Scott's arms, curling up on top of his chest. His eyes slipped closed automatically.

They were silent, just taking in the moment. The house seemed almost eerily quiet without Jake, but Mitch liked it. It was peaceful.

"Alpha?" Mitch murmured, his eyes closed.

"Yes, angel?"

"I love you a lot. Thank you for all you've done for me."

"You don't have to thank me. Every moment I spend with you is a moment I enjoy. I love you more."

Mitch smiled sleepily and leaned up to press a kiss to his jaw. "I'm so excited to cuddle with you all the time and go work in the store and everything, Alpha. We can finally relax. I mean, I love Jakey, but he's a lot."

Scott laughed. "I know, lovely. He's going to take care of himself now, so I have you all to myself after eighteen long years."

Mitch giggled and snuggled into Scott's neck, absentmindedly kissing it. "And I have you all to myself, Alpha."

Scott smiled and kissed his forehead, closing his eyes. He couldn't believe how far they'd come. Just twenty-two short years ago, he saved Mitch from his abusive Alphas and took him into his home. Now, they were even more in love than they were in the beginning, and they had just dropped off their son at his college for the first time. His nightmares from his time with Mitch's old Alphas were pretty much nonexistent, and he was happy.

Mitch sighed softly and closed his eyes, curling up in Scott's arms. "I love you, Alpha," he murmured, almost absentmindedly. "So much."

"I love you too, darling. More than you know."

Mitch smiled and sat up to climb onto Scott's lap. "Let's watch a movie, Alpha. Please? Can we?"

Scott laughed, but he nodded and turned on the TV. "Sure. Let's watch a romantic comedy, the kind that Jake never let us watch."

Mitch giggled and settled into Scott's chest once he selected a movie, grabbing his arms to pull them around his waist. Scott smiled fondly and rested his chin on Mitch's shoulder, pressing an absentminded kiss to his Mark spot.

Silence fell between them, but once again, it was a peaceful silence. They were happy, and they had the rest of their lives to spend loving each other.

After a long and hard road, they'd both finally gotten their happily ever after.

the end