42; the morning after

Scott woke up on top of Mitch, his face buried in his neck. Mitch's arms were wrapped loosely around his shoulders, and his face was buried in his hair, even when he too awoke from their connection. A soft whine left his lips and his eyes immediately closed again.

Scott sighed shakily and buried his face deeper into Mitch's neck, taking in his comforting scent. He knew he should probably get off his Omega, having no desire to crush him, but he also couldn't will himself to move. He felt as though Mitch would disappear if he let him stray too far away, and he could not have that happen. Scott would never forgive himself if he let Mitch's old Alphas get to him again, especially not after they had gotten to him.

"Mitchy?" Scott whispered hoarsely, slipping his hand up Mitch's shirt to feel his warm skin. Mitch  hummed softly in acknowledgment, pulling his Alpha closer. "I love you," Scott whispered quieter, and Mitch let out another soft hum.

"I love you too, Alpha," he mumbled, wrapping his legs around Scott's waist in an effort to be closer to him. Scott sighed softly in relief and fell silent again, curling up as best as he could with Mitch still in his arms. It didn't occur to him that he would eventually have to let go of Mitch, and quite frankly, he wouldn't have cared. He wouldn't let go of Mitch for a long time.

Scott jumped at the sound of the door opening and quickly looked over at it, but he relaxed at the sight of a nurse and set his head back on Mitch's shoulder, quietly watching her moving around the room. She smiled gently at him and placed a tray of various foodstuffs on the little table beside the hospital bed. "Good morning, sir," she murmured, keeping her voice soft so she wouldn't startle him. "I have your breakfast here, and there's some extra for your Omega. After you eat, please call me or another nurse again, we need to change your bandages."

When she was gone, Scott carefully adjusted their position so Mitch was laying down beside him instead of underneath him and set the tray on their laps. "What do you want to eat, Mitchy?" he asked softly, draping his leg over Mitch's to keep them touching.

Mitch shrugged and rested his head on Scott's shoulder, finding his hand. "I don't know, Alpha. Whatever you don't want."

Scott selected some yogurt, and he managed to open it before he grabbed the spoon. "Open up, princess," he mumbled before proceeding to feed his beloved the yogurt. Mitch just let him do it, too tired to protest. As long as Scott stayed right beside him, he wouldn't complain.

After their breakfast, Scott pulled Mitch on top of him before he pressed the button to call the nurse. Mitch, rationally, knew that he was probably hurting Scott, but his beloved wasn't telling him to get off, so why should he?

The nurse came in a few moments later. She smiled at them, though it was obvious she didn't like their positioning. "Sir, could you please let your Omega up for a second? I need to change your bandages, and I can't do that with him in your bed," she explained apologetically. Scott stared at her for a long time, but he eventually lifted Mitch off of him and set him on the edge of the bed. Mitch whimpered barely audibly and shook his head, quickly grabbing Scott's hand again.

"Please don't make me go, Alpha," he begged in a whisper, his voice breaking. "You'll disappear again. I can't lose you."

Scott swallowed the panic rising in his own chest and pulled Mitch back into his arms, kissing his forehead. "It'll only be for a few moments, angel. I promise. You can stay right by my bed, and as soon as she finishes, we can cuddle again. Okay?"

Mitch whimpered again, quieter that time, meeting his beloved's eyes pleadingly. Scott cupped both of Mitch's cheeks and leaned close enough to kiss him, but he waited for Mitch to close the gap. Mitch did so readily, wrapping his arms around Scott's neck.

When they broke apart, Mitch reluctantly got off the bed and sat in the chair that was closest to it, watching intently as the nurse removed Scott's hospital gown before removing his bandages. Scott didn't like her touching him, but he told himself over and over that Mitch was right there and he wouldn't let her hurt him.

As soon as Scott's hospital gown was back on, Mitch crawled back into the hospital bed, tucking himself under Scott's arm. Scott sighed shakily in relief and turned to wrap him up properly, burying his face in his hair. His heartbeat slowly returned to a normal pace as his beloved's comforting scent surrounded him. He closed his eyes and lay down with Mitch still in his arms, pulling him as close as possible.

Silence returned to the hospital room. Both of them were exhausted, but neither wanted to sleep. If they slept, their beloved would be gone again and they would be alone and they wouldn't have any reason left to live. Why should they, if their better half was gone? They would rather stay awake and savor the other's presence than try to sleep.

Scott sighed shakily and pulled the covers completely over their heads, leaving them in their own little world. Mitch tucked himself under Scott's chin and closed his eyes, holding onto the thin fabric of his hospital gown. Everything was right again in his world now that Scott was safe and in his arms again. He didn't know what he would do if he lost him again. He thought briefly about asking Connie and Rick or Lauren if they would take care of Jake should he die, because if something happened to Scott, Mitch wouldn't want to live anymore. If he could get their reassurance that they would care for his son, he could kill himself in peace. However, he decided against it, realizing how incredibly selfish he was. His son should be his first priority, though, deep down, he knew that he wouldn't be a good parent if Scott ever left. He would be better off dead.

Mitch forced these thoughts to stop as he snuggled closer to his beloved. Scott wouldn't leave. He was okay now, and his old Alphas were in jail, and nothing bad would ever happen to him again.

"Alpha?" he whispered, burying his face in Scott's neck.

"Yes, my love?" Scott whispered back, his hands under Mitch's shirt and savoring the warmth of Mitch's skin.

"I love you."

"I love you more, sweetheart."