41; closer

Mitch woke up in the middle of the night. He vaguely wondered why until he felt strong arms pulling him closer and a weight on his shoulder. "Alpha?" he whispered groggily, finding Scott's hand.

"Are you real?" Scott whispered back, his voice hoarse and shaky.

Mitch's heart ached because he could tell his beloved had been crying. "Yes, Alpha. I'm real," he murmured, and Scott slipped his hand up Mitch's shirt so he could feel his warm skin. Mitch shivered at the touch, but he remained silent, letting his eyes slip closed again. Scott pulled him even closer, turning him on his side so they could be chest to chest. Mitch didn't question him.

Things were quiet again. Mitch started lulling back off to sleep, as Scott's hand was trailing all over his body and his touch was soothing. Scott, however, remained awake, and he didn't think he would be going back to sleep anytime soon. He focused on convincing himself that Mitch was real and that he was just dreaming. After the nightmare he'd just had, he felt like he wasn't. It had been so real, so vivid. He almost expected Bryce to come storming in through the door, rip his clothes off, and force himself inside of him again. Scott thought he'd rather die than have Bryce do that to him, especially with Mitch able to watch. Certainly his beloved wouldn't want to be with him anymore when he saw how weak he was.

Scott sighed shakily and buried his face in Mitch's neck to take in his scent. His grip on him tightened without Scott even realizing it, but Mitch whined a little in his sleep and awoke when he smelled pain. "Alpha, what's wrong?"

"I'm fine, baby," Scott whispered, but he was still trying to get as close to Mitch as he could, and Mitch clearly didn't believe him.

"No, you're not, Alpha," he murmured, looking up to meet his eyes. "You're trying to make us one or something."

"Y-You're not close enough," Scott whispered, his voice quieter and hoarser.

Mitch frowned slightly and glanced down at the invisible space between them. "Alpha, I'm already—"

"No. Y-You're too far away. I need- I need to be closer," Scott almost whimpered, and Mitch's heart broke at how lost he sounded.

"Alpha, you're hurting yourself," he whispered. "I can smell your pain. Please, talk to me. What's wrong?"

Scott didn't respond. His breathing had gone shallow and shaky, and his hands were trembling as he tried to pull Mitch impossibly closer. Mitch could hear and feel Scott's heart racing in his chest. He frowned and pulled away just enough to cup Scott's cheeks and force him to meet his eyes. "Alpha. Scotty," he whispered, caressing his cheek, "please listen to me. I lived with those Alphas too, remember? They hurt me and raped me and did a whole bunch of other things that no one should have to go through. I understand. You can tell me anything, Alpha. Let me help you." Scott met Mitch's eyes, and Mitch felt his heart break again at how wild and fearful they were. "Talk to me," he whispered, brushing his thumb over Scott's bottom lip.

Scott hid his face in Mitch's neck as he started to cry, gripping onto him as tightly as he could. Mitch wanted to cry too when he realized his beloved was, but he didn't because he knew Scott would want to pay attention to him instead. "It's okay, Alpha," he whispered, massaging the back of his neck. "I'm here."

They stayed like that for a while. Mitch didn't say much, trusting Scott to speak when he was ready. He just played with Scott's hair and reminded him that he wasn't going anywhere.

"They touched me," Scott whispered barely audibly after a long silence. His voice was weak and pathetic, full of sorrow and self-loathing.

Mitch's heart ached, and he buried his face in Scott's shoulder. "I know," he whispered back. "I'm so sorry, Alpha. I-... It should've been me. You are the last person that deserves that."

Scott whimpered and pushed himself closer, slipping his hand up Mitch's shirt to rest on his lower back. "I'm sorry. Please don't leave me, Mitchy, I- I can't do this without you. I n-need you."

Mitch swallowed the lump in his throat and pressed a kiss to his cheek, closing his eyes. "I'd never dream of it."