49; graduation

Jake pulled on his cap and gown and took a moment to stare at his reflection in the mirror. He couldn't believe this day had finally come. After four long, grueling years, he was graduating high school, and in just a few short months, he'd be heading off to college.

He sighed and exited the bathroom, trying not to get emotional. Mitch immediately rushed up to him, fretting over his clothes. "Oh, I can't believe this is happening," he whispered, his hands shaking as he adjusted the little tassel on Jake's cap. "My sweet boy is all grown up." Mitch smiled up at his son, tears forming in his eyes. "I'm so proud of you."

Jake groaned and looked away. "Don't cry, Mom. I'm still going to be here for another three months."

"I'll miss you," Mitch whispered, hugging Jake tightly. "Please be safe in college. I- I wouldn't be able to bear it if I lost you."

"You won't lose me, Mom, I promise. I'll be fine." Jake hugged back as he looked up to see Scott. He smiled and held out his hand. "Come on, Dad."

Scott smiled and stepped into the hug, wrapping both his beloved Omega and his son in his arms. "Have the best time, okay? Try not to trip when you're walking up to the stage. We'll be in the audience. You can go out with your friends after to celebrate, but not until we've all taken a picture together."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Now can we go? I don't want to be late."

Scott nodded and pulled away, taking Mitch's hand. "Come on. I'll drive."

They all piled into the car, and Scott held Mitch's hand over the console. The Omega was already crying, but he kept wiping his eyes in an effort to hide it. He was feeling so many emotions at the same time.

When they arrived at the high school, Jake had to go line up, which left Scott and Mitch to find their seats. As soon as they sat down, Mitch hugged Scott tightly and buried his face in his neck as he began to sob. "I don't want him to leave, Alpha," he whimpered softly, gripping Scott's shirt shakily. "I don't want him to grow up."

"Hey. Baby, don't cry." Scott pulled back enough to cup Mitch's cheeks and brush away his tears. "We've done our job. It's not like we'll never see him again, right? He'll still come home for the holidays, and soon he'll come home with a family of his own. In the meantime, it'll be just you and me. Don't you think it'll be nice to cuddle all day without having to get up to make Jake breakfast or help him with his homework? We'll be able to catch up on all the time we haven't been able to spend together through the years. It's good for everyone."

Mitch nodded and leaned into Scott's touch. "Of course you're right, Alpha," he whispered, his voice hoarse from tears. "You're always right. I- I just don't want him to forget about us."

"He won't, darling." Scott kissed Mitch's forehead. "We're his parents. We'll always be a big part of his life, whether he likes it or not."

Mitch nodded again. "Yes, Alpha. I'm sorry..."

"Don't apologize, angel, you've done nothing wrong. Let's watch the ceremony, yeah?"

Mitch started crying again as soon as Jake accepted his diploma. Scott had tears in his eyes, but he wasn't letting himself shed them. After the ceremony was over, Mitch rushed over to attack Jake in a hug as soon as he was close enough. "I love you, Jakey," he whimpered. "Please don't forget about us, okay?"

"Oh, Mom, I could never." Jake hugged back. "I love you too."

+++

When it was all over, Scott and Mitch were back at home while Jake went out with his friends to celebrate. Mitch hadn't stopped crying, even when he was curled up against Scott's chest while they watched a movie. "Alpha, I'm scared."

"Why are you scared, lovely?"

"Jakey's going to college soon, so that means I'm getting older. I don't want you to fall out of love with me."

"Oh, angel, I love you more than anything in the entire world. I could never fall out of love with you."

Mitch nodded slowly and peeked up at him. "O-Okay, but... what if you die first?"

"Don't think about that, sweetheart. You and I are not going to die for a while, I promise. We've probably only lived through half our lives. Don't worry your pretty little head." Scott playfully tapped Mitch's nose, and it earned him a weak giggle. He smiled and leaned in to kiss him.

Mitch closed the gap, wrapping his arms around Scott's neck and pressing closer to him as he kissed him passionately. Scott rested his hand on the small of Mitch's back to keep him from straying too far away.

When they broke apart, Mitch settled down on top of Scott and turned his attention to the movie. "I love you, Alpha," he murmured absentmindedly.

"I love you more, angel."