44; fatherly advice

Mitch was exhausted. He'd had a long day, and he wanted nothing more than to curl up in Scott's arms and take a nap. However, he still insisted on making dinner and washing the dishes afterwards. He had to do something; he obviously couldn't help Jake with his homework, so feeding him and his beloved Alpha was the next best thing.

After they ate, they went it to watch TV. It was Friday, so Jake could stay up to watch a movie with them. Scott sat on the couch, but Mitch sat on his lap and pushed him down so he was laying on the couch before settling on top of him. Scott laughed softly and wrapped him in his arms. Jake rolled his eyes and sat in the sofa chair, grabbing the remote to turn on a movie.

Mitch set his head on Scott's shoulder and turned so he could see the TV, but his eyes quickly drooped closed and he was practically asleep by the time the movie actually started.

Scott noticed his beloved was asleep. He smiled and brushed his hair out of his eyes, his heart filling with love for his angel. He pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead before he took the remote and turned the volume down so the movie wouldn't wake Mitch up.

Jake watched them quietly. "Dad? Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, Jakey. What's up?" Scott asked softly, looking up at him.

"I just-... How are you such a good Alpha for Mom? My friends always talk about how their parents are constantly arguing and stuff, but you and Mom are so in love and you have been ever since I can remember. You always take such good care of him. And... when I grow up, I want to be as in love with my Omega as you are."

Scott smiled slightly and glanced down at his sleeping Omega. "Well, I just fell for him so quickly and so hard. He was all I could think about. I was always told that I would have to discipline my Omega and punish them if they ever did anything wrong, but when I fell in love with your mother, I just couldn't bear the thought of anyone or anything hurting him, much less myself. I think, if you truly love your Omega, you'll do everything in your power to be the best Alpha possible for them."

"How did you know you were in love with Mom?"

Scott brushed Mitch's hair out of his face, smiling as he nuzzled into his touch in his sleep. "I couldn't get him out of my head. I wanted more than anything to be the cause of his smile. When I was sad, all I had to do was think of his laugh and I would forget all about my problems. He just... captivated me. Everything about him did, even to this day. I don't think I know how to stop loving him."

Jake watched quietly as his father carefully sat up, leaning against the armrest, and held Mitch in his lap. The Omega curled up against Scott's chest and buried his face in his neck, his small hands gripping at his shirt. "How do you take care of Mom so well?" Jake asked softly as Scott began playing with Mitch's hair.

"I just... think about him. And we're mated, of course, so the fact that I can smell his emotions helps. We've been together for so long that sometimes I feel like I can read his mind."

"What does it smell like when he's sad?" Jake asked curiously.

"Well..." Scott looked down at his beloved and carefully took his hand, holding it gingerly. "It smells heavy and blue. I don't really know how to describe it. It smells cold and dark and suffocating. It's horrible. You'll know it when you smell it, definitely. It's not a good smell."

"And happy?"

That brought a smile back to Scott's face. "Mitch's happiness smells like roses. It smells like roses and summer. It smells like the sound of his laughter."

Jake couldn't help but smile too. "Mom is a lot smaller than I realized," he murmured absentmindedly, watching Mitch sleep curled up against his father's chest. "I've never really thought of him as small before, but he is. Physically, at least. He's so small next to you."

Scott chuckled and nodded. "Yeah. I like it. I'm his protector."

"And you're definitely a good one."

Scott smiled warmly, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "Thanks, bud. I try my best."

They fell silent then, turning their attention back to the movie. Mitch didn't wake up until it was over, when Scott had to stand to go to their bedroom. He blinked confusedly, trying to focus. "Alpha?" he slurred sleepily, his head falling back on Scott's shoulder.

Scott kissed behind his ear. "Shh, baby. It's okay," he whispered. "I'm here. Go back to sleep, my love."

Mitch obeyed without question, and he was asleep again as soon as his eyes closed. Scott smiled and kissed Mitch's forehead before he turned to Jake. "Goodnight, bud. Have some faith in yourself, okay? I'm sure you'll be a wonderful Alpha."

Jake smiled a bit. "Thanks, Dad. Night. I love you. Tell Mom I said I love you if he wakes up."

"I will. I love you too, Jakey."

They went their separate ways into their bedrooms. Scott set Mitch down on their bed and undressed him as carefully as he could, trying not to wake him. He folded Mitch's clothes and put them in the laundry hamper before grabbing Mitch's pajamas. However, before he could put them on, he paused.

Mitch's body was still littered with faded scars. Scott felt sadness fill his heart, and he slowly sat on the bed beside his beloved, reaching out to trace one of the long ones down Mitch's side. Swallowing the lump forming in his throat, he bent to kiss every single one of them. Mitch was the last person who deserved what had happened to him. Even after a horrible childhood, he was still so sweet and selfless. The world didn't deserve Mitch Grassi-Hoying.

Mitch stirred again at the feeling. "Alpha?" he repeated softly, his voice barely audible from exhaustion.

Scott kissed his jaw and just to the left of his lips. "Hi, sweetheart," he whispered. "It's time for bed."

Mitch made a noise that was a cross between a whimper and a groan. "Why are you so far away?"

Scott smiled and kissed him gently, giving Mitch every chance to pull away. Instead, Mitch wrapped his arms around Scott's neck and pulled his body over his own, kissing back sleepily. "I love you," he mumbled against his lips.

"I love you more," Scott whispered. When Mitch broke the kiss, he helped him change into his pajamas before changing himself, then he slipped in bed beside him. Mitch curled into Scott immediately, tucking himself under his chin. Scott wrapped his beloved in his arms, and he too was suddenly aware of how small Mitch was. He smiled a bit and kissed his hair. "Goodnight, princess. Sweet dreams."

"Goodnight, Alpha," Mitch whispered contentedly before he fell asleep in his beloved's arms.