46; the reveal

trigger warning: mentions of abuse

The next day, Jake decided to take his chance. Scott left to go to the flower shop for the day, so he was alone with his mother, and he could boss him around without earning the wrath of his father.

Mitch was in the kitchen doing the dishes. He looked up to see Jake, who had come down the stairs dressed to go out. "Hey, Jakey. Where are you going? Your father wanted you to stay inside and finish the summer reading assignment," he said as he cleaned a glass, but Jake just rolled his eyes and headed towards the door.

"I don't have to listen to you."

Mitch's smile faded, and he shook his head a bit. "Yes, you do. I'm your mother. Alpha told you to—"

"Shut up, Omega," Jake snarled, his eyes flashing their Alpha red. Mitch flinched so hard he dropped the glass he was cleaning, and his heartbeat picked up, memories of his old pack flashing through his head. Jake scoffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "Clean it up." Immediately, Mitch dropped to his knees and began cleaning up the shattered glass with shaking hands, his eyes flickering between brown and blue. Jake watched with darkening eyes, and he found himself enjoying how his mother obeyed every word he said. His friends were right; this was fun. "Now, I'm going to go out, and you're going to stay here and continue cleaning like you should," he commanded, but Mitch didn't dare say anything in response, even though he knew he should do something to stop him. Jake let out a low growl and took a step towards him, raising his hand as though to hit him. "What was that?" he snarled, causing Mitch to flinch again and press himself against the cabinets.

"Y-Y-Yes, s-sir," he whispered immediately. "I'm s-sorry."

Jake smirked and dropped his hand. "Good. I probably won't be home for dinner, so don't wait up." With that, he turned and left, slamming the door behind himself.

By the time Scott returned home a few hours later, Mitch was still on the floor, his hands shaking even harder than they were before. Scott frowned a bit and glanced around confusedly, wondering why Mitch hadn't attacked him in a hug yet. "Mitchy?" he called, and fear shot through Mitch's chest as soon as he heard his voice. His breathing caught in his throat and he hurriedly stood, rushing out to his Alpha and dropping down to forgiveness before him.

"I'm sorry, sir, I t-tried to stop him b-but h-he left anyway and I'm a b-bad Omega a-and I deserve a p-punishment, p-please, I'm so s-sorry—"

"Baby? What are you talking about?" Scott asked, his eyes widening in bewilderment.

Mitch whimpered, his eyes glowing Omega blue. "J-Jake left, s-sir. I'm s-s-sorry."

Scott frowned and he shook his head, kneeling down in front of him. "It's okay, darling. I'm not mad at you. Can you tell me what happened?" Mitch's breathing hitched, but he managed a nod, and he explained everything with a shaky voice. As he told his story, Scott's eyes got progressively darker, but he wasn't mad at his beloved Omega. He was mad at their son for daring to yell at his mother, and he was going to make sure he knew what he'd done was wrong. For now, however, he had his Omega to take care of.

"It wasn't your fault, princess. I'm not going to punish you. You're not the one in the wrong here, I promise," Scott murmured as soon as Mitch was finished speaking, gently pulling him into his arms.

Mitch sniffled and leaned against him, holding onto his shirt. "I'm sorry, Alpha," he repeated in a small voice, but Scott just shook his head and kissed the back of his neck.

"You're not the one who should apologize. Come on, baby, you deserve a break. Let's go upstairs, yeah?"

Mitch nodded slightly and whispered a soft, "Yes, sir," letting Scott help him up and lead him upstairs to their bedroom.