24. Fear

"You know someones gonna come looking for me, right?" I told the man as I pulled at the restraints on my wrists. I sat in a creaky wooden chair, easily breakable if I had even the slightest strength to jump up and smash it to the ground. But sadly, I didn't have the strength.

"They won't know where to look." The man said, trying to shoot down my ideas of freedom. I felt tears come to my eyes at the false hope I was fought to give myself. I had been beaten and tortured. I was only offered food once, but I turned it down. Not only did it look disgusting, but I didn't want to take the chance of being poisoned.

"Then I'll escape," I told him defiantly. I wasn't going to give up.

"You will never escape. You might escape this room or the building, but you can never escape me. I'll always be there . . . Watching in the shadows." The orange haired man spoke with an intense glare and a Cheshire smile.

I sat up with a gasp. I looked around my surroundings. Director Fury was asleep in his hospital bed, but I didn't see anyone else. I lifted my shirt up to see the bullet wound which seemed to be healing at an unusual speed.

I enjoyed not knowing what happened to the men who tortured me. So, why did all the memories have to come back in my dreams? Sure, it was all fuzzy, but it was enough to be scared out of my mind. What did the man mean by "I'll always be there . . . Watching in the shadows"?

He wouldn't have come to New York or DC, would he? What if some of the times I thought I had hallucinated him, I had seen him. Every time I looked over my shoulder and saw the red-haired man, he might have been there.

"Bad dream?" Fury rasped from his bed, his eyes still shut. I looked over at him as a shiver rolled down my spine. When I didn't answer, he opened his eyes to look at me. I gave him a small nod to respond to his question.

"You're a lot like you father." Fury observed. I scoffed lightly.

"Yeah, you've told me." I said with an eye roll. He shook his head and laughed as he sat up in his bed.

"I mean to say, that you are selfless, just like you father. Sure, you're both as sarcastic as hell, but you two are good people." Nick corrected. Fury didn't seem like the man to give out too many compliments, so I decided just to accept it.

"Thanks. Don't worry I won't tell him you said that, your secret is safe with me." I stated with a smile. Everyone always said bad things about Tony, but I knew better. My dad is a good guy once you get to know him, I'm glad someone finally realizes it besides me.

"Speaking of your father . . ." Nick said trailing off, looking out towards the door. My eyebrows quirked up, and I looked behind me to see Tony Stark, the coolest dad standing outside the door.

"You guys were talking about me?" Tony asks walking into the dark room, with his famous smirk. I jump off the table and tackle him into a hug. I ignore the crying pain of my bullet wound as Tony hugs me back.