18. Don't Trust Anyone

Skylar Stark's P

Skylar Stark's P.O.V.

  "I think someone's in the house." Steve said, turning to look at me.   

Continued...

 I pointed to the window by the stair well. The fire escape outside of the window would lead to the one in our apartment. I opened the window soundlessly and climbed out onto the fire escape with Steve behind me. I walked up our window and noticed it opened up to Steve's room. I clambered out as did Steve shortly after me. I grabbed his SHIELD off of the floor and passed it to him which he caught easily. Steve went out first, into the living room where the stereo was playing quietly. "Watch out." I whispered, pointing to a pillow on the ground that I threw earlier this morning. Steve clamped his hand over my mouth at hearing me speak, pulling me behind him. Steve looked behind the wall slowly before standing with a sigh.

"I don't remember giving you a key." Steve told whoever was over there. He still held a hand over my mouth behind him.

"You really think I need one?" A familiar voice asked. Director Fury! I walked out from Steve's grip to see Nick. "My wife kicked me out." Fury told us. Wife? Since when?

"I didn't know you were married." Steve said stepping in front of me slightly. Does he not trust Fury?

"A lot of things you don't know about me." Fury told Steven, shrugging.

"I bet I could figure them out if someone would give me my phone back." I said looking up at Steve with a slight glare. I was about to walkover to the brown couch that was calling my name when Steven pulled me by the sleeve back over to him.

"I know, Nick. That's the problem." Steve said as they both ignored my previous comment. Steven went up to turn on a light in the dimly lit room when Fury just tuned the light back off. Fury began to type on his phone before showing us what it said.

EARS EVERYWHERE

Holy - what?

"I'm sorry to have to do this but I had no place else to crash." Fury spoke as he went along with hs story. He typed something into his phone again and showed it to us.

SHIELD COMPROMISED

"I knew it." I muttered before Steve placed his hand back on my mouth. That's another problem of mine: talking when I shouldn't

I knew it. I called it from the very beginning! At least I can shout in my head.

"Who else knows about your wife?" Steve asked calmly referring to Fury's story. Fury showed us his phone again.

YOU ME AND THE KID

"Just . . . my friends." Fury said walking up towards us. I'm not a kid by the way. I am 14 years old. That qualifies me as a teenager.

"Is that what we are?" Steve asked, stepping back with me in tow. "That's up to you." Fury answered. Before I could blink a bullet passed through the wall and into Fury.