42. Africa

Clint's P

Clint's P.O.V.-

I should've known something was up as soon as we stepped onto the South African ship port. Hell, I should've known as soon as we stepped onto the quinjet. As I gripped my bow and assessed the area around us, the whole place gave off the kind of feeling that something bad was about to happen.

Oh boy, was that feeling right.

When Nat and I had already set up in position, Stark was getting ready to surprise Ultron. She and I were stationed behind where Tony was, Steve and Thor behind him on either side.

"Aw Junior, you're going to break your old man's heart." Tony remarked, flying down steadily until he hit the floor. Steve and Thor shifted unsteadily behind him, watching Ultron turn around and look at the heroes in front of him.

"If I have to." Ultron shrugged, looking nonchalant and apathetic as he spoke. "I already took your memory-wiped daughter, what's to say I can't hurt your heart even more?"

"Sky?" Tony spoke, breathless at the mention of his daughter. I could tell that underneath his mask, his face was one of worry. "What do you mean that you already took her-"

"You can go ahead and turn around now." Ultron motioned to the twins and Skylar, rolling his eyes at his co-conspirators. "God you teenagers and your dramatics."

Wanda and Pietro turned around with nasty looks on their faces, the disgusted look from Wanda making me want to punch that small kid in the face. How could one kid hate someone with such ferocity?

But then, Skylar turned around with a look I had never seen on her face. Happiness was drained and all that replaced it was anger. The two twins we could handle, but when Skylar turned around, her memory wiped, doubts of survival were slim. We Avengers would all let her slam us six feet under into our own graves before we would even think about fighting back.

She was Tony's daughter, after all.

I couldn't even imagine what was racing through Tony's mind when Ultron had told us that Skylar's memory had been wiped. We had all assumed that she was at Peter's, or had gone off on another rebellious stunt to one of her friends at Riverdale High. None of us had even thought that she could have been kidnapped.

We should have reached out to her. Tony just wanted to give her space so that she could get over whatever they were fighting about this time. Those two hot headed narcissistic fools always seemed to either be each other's sidekicks or they were fighting. There was no inbetween.

But now, now I would kill for Tony and Skylar to be pranking the Avengers, not on different sides of a war with one brainwashed to think we murdered her family. We were her family. Not Ultron, not the Maximoff twins, anyone. We were.