32. Dead Stars

I entered the dark tower, stepping out of the elevator

I entered the dark tower, stepping out of the elevator. I flipped the light switch on, illuminating the urbane kitchen area. I turned the corner, finding Thor on the couch chugging a large mug of beer as he watched an Australian program on the TV. I take a deep breath as I eye the full jug of caramel looking substance that I know for a fact is alcohol. Looking past him, I noticed that glass shards didn't cover the ground anymore and the glass walls had been replaced. I twisted the rubber string circling my wrist and snapped it against my skin when my eyes wandered back to the alcohol that Thor held. 

I needed to distract myself. Just as I had that thought, my stomach made a small growl. Apparently, a sandwich and a gummy bear packet isn't enough to fill my stomach these days. I opened the pantry doors to an empty cabinet, except for the lonely mac and cheese box on the top shelf. You would think a billionaire would have a pantry filled with food, but I wasn't sure if Tony had ever even stepped foot in a grocery store. Whenever Pepper was here, the cabinets and refrigerator were mostly full. I hated that I wanted Pepper to come back. I don't know why I hated Pepper so much, I just did. I should probably have tried to give her more of a chance.

 I floated up, grabbing the box. As I levitated back down to the ground, I read the instruction labeled on the cardboard. I haven't ever cooked, besides this one time in Home Ec when my group made cupcakes. I wasn't overly experienced with the mac and cheese category. But I am a genius so surely I could figure it out.

I grabbed a saucepan out of a bottom cabinet and placed it on the counter stove top. 

Add 6 cups of water. 

Okay, that's easy enough. I decided to eyeball it, figuring there wouldn't be a dramatic effect with adding or not having enough water. I filled up the saucepan with the water.

Boil water for seven minutes.

I nodded. Boiling water, well that's easy. I turned up the heat on the stove top and placed the pan on top. I set the time to seven minutes and nodded with approval.

"Now I have seven minutes to waste." I murmured to myself. 

I didn't want to fear everything. I didn't want to fear the simplest thing as alcohol - not so uncomplicated in my past, but maybe it was simple now. 

"Hey, Thor." I spoke softly, sitting a couple of cushions away from him. Taking it one step at a time - I didn't know what kind of drunk Thor was and I needed to be ready to run. I knew I wouldn't be able to take Thor on my own. Running was my only option.

"Skylar!" The boisterous man laughed, raising his glass. I looked at his mug warily, scooting away slightly. Thor seemed to have caught my eyes on his drink. "Would you like some?" Thor asked as if it was proper manners to ask a fifteen-year-old girl if she would like a glass of beer.

"I'm good. Uh, thanks for asking." I nodded politely to him. He just shrugged with a happy smile as he looked back at the television. Hmm, well that wasn't so bad.