29. Thinking

My heart was still fluttering from the kiss I had had only moments earlier

My heart was still fluttering from the kiss I had had only moments earlier. I couldn't stop a smile from forming on my face. My cheeks were starting to hurt I was smiling so much. The worst thing was that I barely remembered any of it. All of the memories of that night were beginning to leave my mind. The more I forgot, the more I craved to feel his lips on mine and to just be near him.

Then the worry set in and a frown ended up on my face instead of the everlasting-smile. What if things don't work out? It's always been black and white for me. You either break up, or you get married. Marrying your high school sweetheart isn't as likely as it used to be. And if I broke up with Peter, would our friendship last? If it's a bad breakup could we end up hating each other? I don't know what I would do without Peter. He was always there for me. Always. To think of a life I could have without Peter just didn't make sense.

My clouded thoughts brought me to the elevator of Avengers Tower. A small smile had ended up back on my face as I thought of Peter. Right then I decided to not self-sabotage and just let life happen. The elevator dinged on the main level, letting me out of the elevator.

The room was empty. I had planned to say goodnight to Tony and make sure that he wasn't still mad at me for leaving him at the Mexican restaurant. So I headed back into the elevator, pressing the level where the lab was held.

I exited out of the elevator, tapping the six-digit passcode. Tony's back was facing me as he scribbled something down on a piece of paper. I don't know why I hadn't said anything yet. I had never watched him work before, but something told me I shouldn't have picked this particular time to watch my father work. Tony stood up, grabbing a marker. He scrawled the word "Ultron" on top of the board. Before he wrote anything else, I decided to speak up, instead of getting into more trouble.

"Hey, Dad, can we talk?" I asked, resting my hand on the wall, hesitant to step into his actual workspace. For some reason, I was nervous. The word "Ultron" made my gut twist. Tony turned around, surprised, muttering a string of curse words as he spun the board around so I couldn't see it.

"Hey, Sky. Do you need something?" Tony asked, his eyebrows turned up in worry.

"Do I have to need something to talk to you?" I challenged him with a brow lifting in amusement, trying to brush off my nerves. Maybe I was just nervous because I had snuck out and kissed Peter. I sat down in his work chair, holding my knees to my chest.

"I can't really talk right now. I-I think I'm on to something and I can't really have any distractions." Tony fidgeted with his marker, popping the lid off and on.

"Well, I could help you with it." I urged on. "And then we could talk?" I asked with hopeful eyes. I wanted to talk about why I had left the restaurant in a calm manner instead of getting into another fight.

"I just really need to work on this alone. How about we talk in the morning?" Tony suggested with a tight-lipped smile. I let out a sigh and nodded my head, giving him a fake smile in return.