chapter eight: head over heels.

*colby's pov*

after our cliche moment on the ferris wheel, i haven't been able to talk to steph. any confidence i had was drained away. she made my stomach go nuts even worse than before, and when i'm around her my palms get sweaty, my heart beats fast, and my mouth goes dry.

after a two weeks of awkward looks and smiles, i couldn't handle it anymore.

i pulled devyn aside during breakfast today and asked her what to do.

"we kind of hinted at the fact we liked each other but we didn't really say it, and i don't know how to talk to her now," i said.

"what do you mean you don't know how to talk to her?" devyn asked, confused by my words.

"she makes me nervous, my hands get sweaty and i feel all warm and weird stuff like that," i replied, scratching the back of my neck and fiddling with my fingers.

"aw, colby," devyn smiled, "i know she likes you just the same. do you want me to talk to her about it when we go out later?"

"if it's not too much trouble. thanks, dev." i half-smiled and hugged her.

"no problem, colby. i'll help you out." she smiled and scurried back into the kitchen.

i walked back in a few seconds later and told myself that i'll be okay, and devyn will help me work this out.

•••

i was anxious all day about this whole thing while devyn and steph were gone, so being the great friend he is, sam stayed home with me while everyone else went out for lunch.

"dude, what's been going on between you and steph?" he questioned while we ate some chinese on the living room couch.

"i'm not really sure," i said.

"i've got time, colby. just talk to me about what happened." he encouraged.

"alright. well, on the ferris wheel, we kind of vaguely hinted at the fact we were crushing on each other, and when i woke up the next day i all of a sudden was twice as anxious to be around her. i got all warm and tingly and i wanted to just-"

"explode with nerves?" he chuckled.

"yeah." i laughed with him.

"i know you like her. we all do. i can tell she means a lot to you. i mean you look at her like she created the world, dude."

"she does mean a lot to me. she's so perfect, and i want to help her see that, but she's blinded by her anxiety," i frowned, shoveling more noodles into my face.

"i know you want to help her, and that's totally great. all you have to do is get the courage up to talk to her again." sam told me.

"i guess so. i just wish it wasn't so hard."

"i have a feeling she's going to come around, colby. just trust me." he smiled again.

•••

stephanie and devyn came back home around dinner time and she smiled at me as she entered the living room, shooting that electric spark up my veins again.