epilogue.

one year later...

*colby's pov*

"we are gathered here today to celebrate one of life's greatest moments, and to cherish the words which shall unite this couple standing before us in marriage." the kind priest recited as i held steph's hand tighter than ever.

her eyes were already watering, but that's alright- i was about to cry too.

"marriage is the promise between two people who love each other, and who trust in each other, and who choose to spend the rest of their lives together."

i glanced into the small crowd of friends and family sitting and watching as this whole event unfolded. sam and kat were sitting in the front row, smiling wide. our other friends were dispersed throughout the space.
we stood in a small garden, white lights adorning every spot as decorations. there were roses and trees everywhere you turned, and stephanie loved it here. that's why everything is happening in this place.

"the bride and groom have a few words to share. stephanie, please share your vows with us."

"wow, um, okay. stop crying," she giggled to herself, causing our friends and family to laugh with her as she wiped her tears.
"okay. i'm not the g-greatest with words, and of all people you would know that, colby. but i'm gonna try my best here." she sniffled.
"colby brock, i've been through so much. i've been abused emotionally, physically, and mentally. i struggled with self-image and depression for years. i only had one friend, and i'm lucky she's still here for me to this day. i was never really appreciated by anyone, so i never felt worthy of anyone's attention. i felt invisible in a crowded room; no one could see me, so why should i matter at all, you know?
well, that all changed when devyn asked me to move in with her."

i stopped holding back my tears. i was too overwhelmed to keep trying.

"i saw you standing there when i came down the stairs to meet my new roommates, and i didn't know how much you'd change me.
colby, you're all i think about. i care about you more than i care about breathing. everything i am, everything i do, it's all for you. if i lost you, you know i'd never survive. i just- i- i've never felt so loved or needed in my whole life until you came along. you grabbed me by my wrists and pulled me out of my sucky, sad hole, and saved me from ever falling back in. you saved my life with your stupid justin bieber haircut and your icy blue eyes, and the fact i'm standing here and saying that to you is really weird," she laughed.
"what i'm trying to say is that i love you more than anything, and i'm trying my best to put that into words. i'll never want to live without you, because you're a great kisser and i won't ever find someone who'll kiss me like you do. i never want to be with anyone else. you're mine and i'm yours, and i just want to get fucking married already, god, this is taking too long!"

i wiped my soaked cheeks with my suit sleeve and began to say what i wanted to as best as i could.

"i can't say what i want to, because there's no way to explain it. i love you and that's not even close to telling you how i feel. you are all i've ever needed and wanted and wished for, and the second i laid eyes on you, i realized that i'd never wanted to be with someone more. you changed me. you've made me aware of how all the world's beauty will never compare to yours. you're amazing and perfect and god, do i love you. i love you, i love you so much, and if marriage is as close as i get to showing you, then i'll do it in a heartbeat. i need you to be with me forever, because i know that you're the only thing i can't live without." i smiled at her as she silently sobbed, her eyes never leaving my gaze.
"it's been 21 years since i met you, and 20 years of incredible patience. now that i have you, i swear on everything ever that i'll never let you go."

the priest smiled at us again and finished up the ceremony.

"colby, do you take stephanie as your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forwa-"

"i do. i do, i do, i do." i interrupted him, knowing he didn't have to finish. i jumped a little as everyone stared to chuckle.

"alright then. and stephanie, do you-"

"do i even have to answer that? yes. i do. i swear to god, i do." steph gripped my hands again, a small giggle escaping her lips.

i slid the diamond ring onto her finger, and she slid the silver band onto mine.

"i now pronounce you husband and wife.
you may now kiss the bride."

•••

the second their lips connected, the crowd cheered.

but they were off in their own separate world.

all they knew was that they were together forever now, and there was no going back.

when colby proposed last christmas, the gifts she received weren't nearly as amazing as that one.

and colby was too in love to even open any presents.

their hearts were bounded the second they met, and now they're only beginning to understand how much they love each other.

like i said- only the constellations know what the future holds for them.

but i can tell you this:

they'll never leave each other.

this is the story of our star-crossed, astronomically-bound lovers; and it's only just starting. they've got their whole lives to go.

one day, the constellations will point you to your star-crosser. and when they do, follow them.

because things can only get better from there.

so, here we are, waving stephanie and colby goodbye.

but is it really goodbye?

will they ever really leave us?

no. they won't.

remember them; because the stars will remind you that you'll be in their spot someday.

life is precious, and you'll be okay.

just remember to look up into the night sky every once in a while, alright?

you never know what- or who- you'll find.