chapter thirty eight: hero.

*colby's pov*

it's been a week since we've been back from japan, and stephanie misses it a lot.
she's been sitting in the gaming room and watching a lot of pokémon and anime without the english subtitles, so i don't really have to do much work to know that she misses it.
she's actually doing it right now.

"babe," i spoke up and she paused the tv.

"what's up?" she turned her head to me.

"i have a request."

"what is this request?"

"will you sing for me?" i tilted my head to the side and gave her my best puppy eyes.

"like, play my ukulele and sing?" she asked, her face becoming flushed.

"yeah!" i smiled brightly.

"uh, sure, i guess. but you can't film it or anything. let me go get my uke," she got up and walked softly up the stairs to her room.

don't film it?
haha, funny.
i'm gonna film it.

i snatched my camera from the kitchen and hid it behind the tv, pointed towards our couch.

i quickly sat down and she returned seconds later, her ukulele in hand.

"i'm kinda nervous." she scratched her head as she sunk into the couch.

i leaned forward and kissed her gently, and when i pulled away, her eyes sparkled and she blushed.

"still nervous?"

"not really," she chuckled, "so...what should i sing?"

"whatever comes to mind," i replied.

she lifted her hand and began to play. her fingers glided across the strings as if this was her first language; it came naturally, like an instinct.

"slow down you crazy child,
you're so ambitious for a juvenile
but then if you're so smart,
then tell me why are you still so afraid?"

her voice intoxicated the air, the notes making every second more beautiful. she always gets so caught up in her head, thinking she can't sing, but she sounded like an angel sent from heaven, and anyone who thinks otherwise can suck it.

"but you know that when the truth is told
that you can get what you want, or you can just get old
you're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through
ooh, when will you realize,
vienna waits for you,"

she continued on, singing each lyrics with more confidence.
i didn't even notice how much harder my heart had started beating.

"when will you realize,
vienna waits for you."

she strummed the last note and i let out my breath i was holding in.

"you're so amazing, how the hell did i manage to get you to fall for me? i'm so confused." i joked, pulling her closer and kissing her again, as i do quite often.

"thank you. now, where's the camera?" she asked, pushing me away.

fuck.
well, there's no point in playing dumb.

"it's behind the tv," i sighed, "how'd you know?"

"i heard you bustling around downstairs." she pulled the camera out and ended the recording.

"are you gonna delete it?"

"no, you can do whatever you want with it. i think i did an okay job on the song."