chapter thirty nine: constellations.

the multi-colored lights twinkled in the reflection of her brown eyes as she grinned at the tree in the living room. she stood on her toes, hanging ornaments meticulously and taking time to wrap each branch with tinsel.

he observed her as the skin around her eyes crinkled when she laughed.
how her smile made everyone happier.
how the sound of her voice singing christmas songs made his heart spin and twirl and move in any way it possibly could.

she was happy for tonight, for christmas eve. she was happy to be with her friends- no, her family. she was happy to see presents under the tree. she was happy to see the lights and the star on top and the smell of devyn's christmas cookies baking in the oven.
she was finally happy.

she turned, her star-dusted freckles littering her cheeks as she smiled at her blue-eyed savior. he smiled back and stood up, walking over to her and enveloping her in a strong hug. she collapsed into him, her heart fluttering all the while. their lips met- a common occurrence for the couple- and they felt that warm, butterfly-like feeling in their chests.

the christmas spirit had never affected either of them in such a way; no one had ever seen stephanie or colby so happy in years. that ancient holiday twinkle their parents saw so often in their eyes as young children had returned, but now they only looked at each other with that special twinkle.

no one else mattered to them.

you see, christmas was upon the friend group, and each of them were beyond grateful for each other.
as for corey and devyn, they're just as happy as they were when they met.
as for sam, he now has a beautiful girlfriend known as katrina stuart; he loves her and she loves him. everyone is happy for them.
as for elton and amanda, they're always becoming closer. they're meant for each other, as all of their friends say.
as for aaron, he's getting by. as long as he has his friends, he knows he'll be fine. he'll find love one day, too.

and, as for stephanie and colby...
well, the future holds much for them. engagement, marriage, maybe even children. maybe they'll live in the city.
maybe in a quiet, suburban neighborhood with their three kids, living a peaceful, ordinary life.
or maybe not.
maybe they'll be daredevils; each day painted with bright color and fast speeds, life passing by so fast they nearly can't catch up.

no one can predict the future- but they can have faith in what they know. if they believe, they don't need to see what's in store for them.

...so, as for stephanie and colby- they'll be okay. because no matter what's thrown their way, they come out the other end more in love than they knew.

she was, and will always be, the curly-haired, bright-smiled, still-working-on-herself girl who loves the ocean-eyed, cheesy, inspiring boy. and that was enough for the both of them.

when you see the sky at night, you see the constellations.
the way the stars align.
how they cross.
star-crossed lovers used to be used in a bad sense; that to be star-crossed meant danger, it meant you were forbidden lovers who didn't belong.

but for these two, this girl and boy, the stars aligned perfectly.

only the constellations knew what the future holds for them; and whatever it is, so be it. let it happen.

because you, i, and fate itself knows this: they'll always be together in the end, and nothing can change that.

not even the stars in the sky.

not even the constellations.

the end.

________________________________

so, that's it.

did you guys like it?

i liked it.

don't worry, there's an epilogue. it'll come soon.

but for now, let's just be happy for our star-crossed, astronomically amazing lovers.

merry christmas everyone.