Late Night Shift - Sterek

A/N burst of inspiration got me here. I hope it's decent. I've been in a particularly good mood today starting with a good memory for an in class essay for my philosophy class, then a relaxing walk down by the waterfront, giving one of my best friends his (super late) birthday present, and him giving me my also super late birthday present which is awesome because it's a Nightmare Before Christmas ring with 'Simply Meant to Be' engraved on the inside, which is a lyric from Sally's Song.

Okay, enough with retelling my surprisingly good day and on with this one-shot! Enjoy!

It was an open and very visible street, right in the centre of Beacon Hills. Stiles was walking home from his night shift at work, mumbling about some stupid customer when he heard light footsteps only a few metres behind him.

Not really questioning the footsteps and just assuming that they were too, on their way home from a late shift, he continued walking and minding his own business.

It was only when a rough hand smacked against his shoulder, forcing him to stop walking. He's sure that his shoulder will be bruised by the next morning as the grip the person had was painful. His mind also went into a frenzy as to why he was being stopped at eleven at night in an empty street. He could only think the worse.

And it's reasonable for him to think this way because it was one awful thing that could happen at this time of night.

He heard the light click and felt a hard, circular object being pressed harshly into his back. "Give me your wallet and phone."

Stiles' breath was caught in his throat as complete terror consumed him. He freezes up entirely, mind going fuzzy and confused, hoping that he could be home right now. Regretting accepting the call this morning for the night shift tonight.

"I said give me your wallet and phone," the person growls into his ear. His heartbeat is in his throat as he feels the tip of the – what he has to assume is – gun press harder into his back.

Stiles' shaking hand moves down to his pocket, slipping in and about to hand over his wallet when a heavy force pushes the assailant off him. He's still frozen, mouth wide open, as one of the deputies comes into his view.

Derek Hale.

His dad's new deputy, the one that is being considered to be the next Sheriff once his dad retires.

"Stiles?" his voice is clear and concern written on his face. "Are you okay? Did he hurt you anywhere?"

He shakes his head. "Nothing major. I might bruise up a little."

Derek looks relieved. "Thank god. I need to take you back to the station then, have you checked out and then make a statement, okay?"

He nods. "Alright."

Derek's arm wraps around Stiles' waist, pulling him closer. "You're freaking lucky that I had a bad feeling about you walking home alone tonight otherwise that guy could have killed you."

Stiles is slowly coming out of his fearful state and makes a small joke which puts Derek even more at ease. "Wouldn't want to lose your mate of one week now would you?"

Derek huffs. "You're lucky only Scott is around, otherwise I'd be in deep shit with your dad for mating you without his permission."

"I'm guessing Scott is the mass that tackled that dick?"

"Yep. If it was me, that guy would be dead."

Upside is that this was one hell of a story to tell when people asked how the Sheriff found out they were mated. Because when Stiles reached into his pocket he accidentally hit speed dial and called his dad. The night his dad almost murdered two people, the mugger, and Derek.