What else? - Sterek

A/N so this one-shot is a little angsty but Stiles has Der with him so it's all good.

Enjoy! 

Stiles is sitting in front of his dad at their cluttered table, staring blankly at him. "Sorry, could you repeat that again? I don't think I heard you right."

John sighs and leans forward, resting his elbows on the table. "You're adopted Stiles." A pin could drop, Stiles can't even hear his usual loud heartbeat. "Your mum and couldn't have children on our own, so we adopted you."

Stiles swallows audibly. "Okay," he croaks out. Trying to comprehend what his dad just told him, and it's becoming increasingly more overwhelming. Questions filter through his mind at light breaking speed.

Does this mean I'm not a Stilinski?
Who gave birth to me?
Is my ADHD genetic?
What does this mean for me?

If Stiles were in a better mood, he would consider this a mild identity crisis. But as it is, he just stands and tries to control his breathing. "I need to go think about this. Don't expect me back tonight."

John just nods and lets his son walk out. He knows where he's going and is in good hands.

~~~

Derek is mildly confused when he hears a knock at his door at 10:30pm. But he still answers it, and thankful he did, because there sits Stiles, collapsed and in complete hysterics.

Without questioning it, Derek scoops up his boyfriend of five months and carries him inside. He takes him straight to the bed, throwing the covers over him before crawling in beside him, wrapping him up in his arms.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Derek whispers, pressing a light kiss to Stiles' neck.

"I'm adopted, Der," he mumbles and Derek's heart skips a beat. "Dad told me tonight."

There's a few minutes of silence while Derek strokes Stiles' arm comfortingly.

"Wasn't I good enough?" Stiles whispers, practically curling in on himself, but the arm Derek has securely wrapped around his waist stopes him. "Why did they give me up? Was it because I have ADHD?"

"No," Derek immediately responds. "It wasn't your fault, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with ADHD. I have no doubt that there's a reason for putting you up for adoption."

"They didn't want me, Der."

"How do you know that?" Derek's voice is loud in the silent loft. "Maybe they just couldn't support you and gave you to a more stable home. Besides, it shouldn't matter if they wanted you or not."

Stiles rolls over to look at Derek directly. "What does that mean?"

"John and Claudia wanted you. They're the ones who raised and loved you. They made you into a crazy genius, they helped me find my mate."

Stiles' eyes sparkle as soon as the words slip out. "Your mate?"

Dereknods. "Yes, Stiles. Mate."