13. crying together

"what?" malia asked. "you loved him?"

kira shook her head. "love."

malia didn't know what to say. malia had never heard that word from kira before. not like that.

"kira... you guys broke up like a year ago."

"i know." kira kept shaking her head, like she was ashamed of herself. "i know i need to let go. but he was the first guy i've ever loved. i was always too scared to tell him because i thought he still loved allison. so i never did. i should've. maybe things would be different."

malia stared at her sympathetically. "i'm sorry i lied to you. if i had known the way you felt, i wouldn't have."

"yeah, like you stopped a few weeks ago." kira sighed after realizing what she said. "sorry. i've just never felt this way about someone like i feel about him. i don't know if i ever will."

"you will." malia promised, and she believed she would. she wanted her to find someone, but malia didn't think scott was the one for kira.

"i need to let go." kira said again.

malia nodded as she watched kira wipe away tears. then kira said something that surprised malia.

"i'm sorry, malia. what you did was pretty crappy, but i should've talked to you. and it's time for me to move on." kira forced a smile at malia.

"really?"

kira nodded. "this is going to hurt me by saying this but... scott's yours."

"kira..."

"god, it hurts. just listen to me. this isn't healthy. i think about him constantly. it's not cute, it isn't fun. it hurts more than anything. knowing you love someone who doesn't love you back is the worst. so, please. i have to let him go. i need to."

at that moment malia reached out to her friend and pulled her into her arms. she hugged her, and malia began to silently cry on her shoulder. maybe because malia felt bad. or maybe because kira felt bad. she didn't really know why she cried. but she didn't really care.

once they pulled away, malia asked, "best friends?"

"just friends." kira said, and malia didn't blame her. "for now." she added, being the kind-hearted person she is.

•••

I just realized how close Malia and Scott always stand by each other. It's freaking cute.

MALIA AND KIRA (kind of) MADE UP.

So what does that mean for Malia and Scott?

pEaCe.

-Kelsie