39. that's what friends are for

scott hated himself for it, he really did. it's not like he wanted to. he wanted the opposite. but he didn't know what else to do. he couldn't just ignore the guy, he had to listen. breaking up with malia was the last thing scott wanted to do. he didn't want to lose her. but he knew he was going to.

scott heard the loud knock on his front door and went to answer it. he knew stiles was on his way over. he swung open the front door and said, "stiles-"

he stopped talking when he didn't see stiles, but theo.

theo raised his eyebrows. "can i come in?"

scott hesitated. he knew that theo was drunk that night, though that didn't really excuse the fact that he kissed scott's girlfriend. but he slowly nodded.

theo walked in and they stood directly in front of the front door.

"look, man." theo started. "i'm so sorry. i didn't mean to do that. i was drunker than i've ever been that night. but malia didn't do anything wrong. i kissed her and i remember she pushed me away."

"i know." scott said quietly.

"what? you know? then why did you break up with her?"

scott narrowed his eyes curiously. "how did you know we broke up?"

"kira told me." he said nonchalantly.

"kira? she didn't dump you?"

theo rolled his eyes. "no. she didn't dump me. she's understanding, maybe you should try it sometime."

scott took a deep breath and balled his fist. "you don't know anything about our breakup."

theo's eyes widened at a suddenly angry scott and he took a step back. "sorry. i didn't mean it that way."

scott didn't say anything.

theo sighed. "look, i just came to apologize. i'm sure if you turned your phone on you'd have a million messages and missed calls from malia. and me. i tried texting you."

"my phone is on." scott said.

"then why are you ignoring everyone?"

"i can't talk to her, okay? i just can't. i'm not supposed to." scott's voice began to rise. he stopped himself before he could reveal anything he want supposed to.

theo scoffed. "whatever, scott. just call her." and theo turned around and walked out the front door.

a few minutes later, scott let stiles in.

stiles immediately said, "tell me everything."

"ethan is really hot with his tongue pierced." malia said as she watched one of the latest dolan twins video with lydia. they were at malia's house, on her bed, and had been binge watching all their favorite youtubers for hours.

lydia giggled. "very."

the two girls groaned once the video ended. but then lydia saw the latest video. "bob and rob season three!"

they watched the video together and laughed. later, lydia ordered pizza for them.

lydia took a bite and made a loud 'mmm' noise. "this is the best pizza i've ever eaten."

"yeah." malia agreed, then hesitated. "where did you get this pizza from?"

"that place where me and stiles used to go all the time."

"oh."

out of nowhere, malia began crying silently.

lydia looked up at her and put her half-eaten pizza back in the box and scooted closer to malia. "what is it?"

"that's where scott and i had our first date. after the movie." malia wiped her eyes. "i'm fine."

"no, malia, you're-"

"i don't want to be that girl, lydia. i don't want to be the girl who cries for months over her boyfriend breaking up with her."

"but he wasn't just your boyfriend." lydia said. "you loved each other, right?"

malia nodded.

"then you're not one of those girls." lydia assured her.

malia stayed quiet.

"and besides, like you said, you don't think he broke up with you because of theo. neither do i. that's not like scott. we'll figure this out, okay?" lydia placed her hand on malia's shoulder soothingly.

malia nodded again. "thanks, lyds."

lydia smiled. "that's what friends are for."

•••

shoutout to suckmaharse for understanding my music taste and recommending 1000000000 sad songs I LOVE YOU FOR IT.

this chapter is messy buT #901 IN FANFICTION AND 1K VOTES. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH I LOVE YOU ALL

okay i thought i published this yesterday what

-Kelsie