"Chapter 28" ✔

The song I listened to while writing - "One Last Time by Ariana Grande"

Shout-out to my new readers and followers. I may not be able to name you all one by one but do know that I appreciate all your support so dearly. It freaking made me happy.

And woot woot to 35k reads. Thank you all so much.

Ashley's POV

After the talk I had with Connor, we both decided to approach Arthur and open the subject he and I discussed. After explaining to Arthur about it, he finally agreed and told us we should tell Kellan so he can arrange everything.

A few hours later...

It was finally done. Connor can now finally start over with a clean slate.

After the ceremony, people left with only a few remained in the gathering, mainly consisted of the elders who didn't approve of Kellan's decision. They were infuriated that he didn't consult them about it before putting it to action. Well, they didn't have to know Kellan's plan, which was exactly to leave the elders in the dark, just for it to work. And since we already know that the elders would surely stand against Kellan's decision, if he did in fact told them of his plan, we were thankful he opened it up to us instead of them.

It took another hour of arguments between Kellan and his elders before everything was settled down. If it weren't for Arthur, they would still be basically in each other's throats, with none of them having the intention to back down. Arthur announced that Connor's going with us when we go back to Arizona, with him temporarily joining Arthur's pack.

And once Arthur mentioned Connor being my protector, the elders no longer argued and finally agreed.

"Hey, you ready?" Arthur asked with a duffle bag in his hand.

I turned to him and nodded my head after closing the zipper on my own backpack.

"Yup."

He smiled. "Do you have everything?"

I nodded again, before I slung my bag on my shoulder. Arthur then opened the door for me and we both headed out.

Once we're outside the house, we meet up with all the guys that accompanied Arthur on his journey here. Brandon was talking to a pack warrior when he momentarily met my eyes and sent me a smile. After a couple of hugs and goodbyes to Kellan, Cheska, as well as to their welcoming pack, we were finally on the road towards the airport.

Glancing back towards the huge house, I waved goodbye to Cheska who was still standing next to her husband. My stay here may not be the best, but I still managed to enjoy it, other than the dramas we encountered along the way obviously.

Now, I'm sure it's a lot more different for Connor, considering he's not going to be visiting this place anytime soon.

"What's on your mind, Ash?" Arthur asked 15 minutes into our drive.

I quickly met his gaze before sighing. "I'm just a little worried about Connor." I admitted.

I know it's hard for him to leave the place he grew up in. And no matter how good he does on trying to hide his emotions, I can still see past all those barriers he put up. His eyes would always betray him as he tries his best to hide the pain with a faćade he mastered so well to wear, but not to me. He's obviously trying to show every single one of us that he's okay, even though clearly, he's not.

Behind the mask, I can see the pure sadness and the heartbreak.

Despite all the hardships he's going through, he stayed strong. He even said that, he'll try to see whatever is happening as some kind of a blessing in disguise. I didn't understand what he meant at first, but when he explained that this is what he's meant to do, I can finally see that everything that happened, has a reason behind it.