Chapter Eight

The next morning was rough. I woke up crying because I was in so much pain. Rob was already up, but Beau wasn't too happy when he heard me. He whined about me interrupting his sleep, when really he had to be up in ten minutes anyway. Robert dropped me off at home forty-five minutes before I had to be to class. Everyone was still sleeping, so I decided it was best to get ready quickly and drive myself to campus.

I found an open seat towards the back of the lecture hall. If I was smart, I would sit in the front so I can leave easily if the pain was too much but I didn't feel like moving. I got out my notebook to start taking notes when Smith came over to sit next to me.

"What happened to you?"

"I thought I could shake it for Luke Bryan and I fell off my table, breaking my wrist in the process," I laughed at my own clumsiness, "And I still made it to class before you. Suck it Smith."

"Yeah, yeah," he waved it off and took out his computer. He probably wouldn't be taking notes though. He usually sits on twitter or checks espn or something like that.

"What happened to you?" Andy took the other empty seat next to me.

"Country girl, shake it for me, girl," Smith started singing and I shook my head. The amount of shit I'm going to get for this is unreal. I haven't even told my parents yet.

"I was dancing on my table and fell off."

"Damn. I wish I could've seen that."

I was stuck on campus until 11, but after that I was done for the day. I tried calling Robert to see if he got my pain killers, but he wasn't answering. I pulled in front of our house and parked my truck. I didn't really want to get out yet, mainly because everyone would be asking me questions.

"Hi mom," I answered the phone. It was still pretty early in Vancouver but I guess she had a job she should probably get to on time.

"How did you break your wrist?"

"I was dancing on the table and fell off," I could hear her try not to laugh into the phone, "You can laugh, it's not going to hurt my feelings."

"Well I guess as long as you're okay, what kind of medication did they give you?"

"I don't know yet. Robert was supposed to go get it after morning practice but he hasn't answered my calls. The pain isn't too bad right now so I'll probably wait until before the game tonight."

"How's everything going with Robert?" I could hear her car start up on the other side of the phone.

"Great. Did you hear Kenzie got engaged?"

"Yeah. Tyler's parents told us, and so did hers. Are you in the wedding party?"

"Is that really a question, mom?" I straightened out the lei I got from one of Geno's parties I went to with Rob. He has a matching one in his car.

"You're right. I'll let you take a nap. Seems like you had a long night. Let me know if you need anything."

"If you want to pay that insurance bill, that would be pretty cool."

"I'll see what I can do. I love you Scar."

"Love you too."

When I walked into my house, everyone was still passed out in the front room with the exception of Rachel.

"How are you feeling?" She asked when I grabbed a gatorade out of the fridge.

"I'm a bit sore, but I'll be fine once I get the pain meds."

She started playing with her hair and rubbing her face when I saw something shine in the light.

"No. You're engaged now too?"

"Yeah!" She held out her hand for me to look at the ring. It was definitely bigger than Kenzie's, but not as sparkly. And Tyler isn't a pro athlete like Brad is.

"Oh I'm so happy for you, Rach."

"I'm really hoping your pained look is from the broken bone and not you lying."

"Do I ever lie?"

"No but sometimes I wish you would," she laughed. Most of the time I put the brutal in brutally honest.

I went downstairs and crawled in bed, telling Rachel to tell me when Robert drops off the pain meds. I was almost asleep when someone uncovered me and lay down next to me.

"Kenzie, I swear to God-"

"Not Kenzie. Your prescription is upstairs when you need it."

"Thanks for answering my phone call asshole," I told him without opening my eyes or rolling over, "Now let me sleep."

I fell asleep pretty quickly and once I was out, I wasn't waking up for a few hours. I was glad that I didn't take any of the medicine before I went to sleep. My dreams were messed up enough as it is. I woke up around three to an empty bed. I had gotten used to it, but that doesn't mean it hurt any less than it did the first time. I get that this was Robert's job and it was something he had to do. And I really hated that I was upset that he wasn't always around. It just made me selfish.

<< I hope you like weddings.

<< Cause Kenzie and Rachel are engaged.

<< And I'm probably going to be in both of them.

<< This is what happens when you leave without saying bye.

<< I spam your phone.

>> Are you done or can I reply, spaz?

<< I think I'm done.

>> I didn't say bye cause I knew you would have my head and I need that to play hockey.

<< You're right. Imma get in the shower and I probably won't get to talk to you after I get out so good luck babe! I'll see you after the game!

I grabbed a towel and a new set of clothes to change into. It was a real hassle that I had to use the upstairs shower. Taylor and I made sure that our roommates knew that.

"Wow, you're alive," Kenzie looked surprised when I walked past the dining room.

"I honestly might take another nap after I take a shower. Last night was rough. Sorry this is going to be a kinda boring trip for you."

"Dude you ended up in the ER last night and I'm going to a hockey game tonight. I'm Canadian. That's exciting. It's anything but boring. I will probably survive."

We went to eat at our usual place by the arena before the game. The pill bottle said to take them with food, so I waited until we got our food. I had forgotten that sometimes, pain killers do make you tired. I figured that out when I fell asleep during warm ups. My friends let me sleep, but Beau decided I wouldn't be so lucky. He drilled a puck into the glass in front of me and I almost fell out of my chair. I looked up to see him laughing.

"You're such a prick, Bennett!"

"Payback is a bitch," He yelled back at me, earning a friendly shove and some words from his roommate.

"He's cute," Katie said as she tried flirting with him through the glass.

"Beau has a girlfriend that he's a actually serious about. It only took her movie to LA and Robert getting on a fight with him for Beau to stop being such a whore," I mumbled.