Chapter Nineteen

I had no idea what was up with me lately, but my self confidence was at an all time low. I questioned everything I wore and my hair never did what I wanted it to. I changed four or five times, just trying to look good for Robert but he always told me I looked better naked. Typical guy answer.

"No seriously. I don't see any of that whenever you're standing in front of me naked. I think about where I'm going to kiss you first. Clothes just get in the way." He say on the bed, waiting for me to get dressed so that we would be able to maybe go to Market Square and walk around before he went to workout.

"So all that Victoria's Secret I have is a waste of money?"

"No, I really like that." He smirked. Cheeky.

It usually wasn't bad at all, but apparently I was just having one of those days.

I was sitting at the kitchen table, blasting music as I tried to figure out my schedule for my first semester in grad school. The classes I wanted to take, didn't fit in the schedule together, and of course my advisor was not being helpful. At all.

I was on the verge of tears so naturally, I grabbed the bag of smarties from the cupboard and started unwrapping them before checking my emails once again.

Robert walked in and threw his bag down by the door. It pretty much lived there lately. He grabbed a bottle of water before sitting across the table from me. I had shoved two rolls of candy in my mouth while he stared at me.

Without saying a word, he got up and took my hand, bringing me to our room. He pulled back everything but the sheet while I got in. He took off his jeans and hoodie and climbed in next to me. He kept his distance, but was still close.

"What's wrong?" He asked softly.

"Nothing. Why?" Before I could even reach for it, Robert held out his hand so I could trace the lines of his palm. I don't know why I started doing this, but now it calmed me down. Gave me something to concentrate on besides whatever was going on in my life.

"Whenever you're about to cry, you rub your nose like you have to sneeze. I have no idea why, but you do. And you can put away like half a bag of smarties when you're upset. I guess you can when you aren't upset, but you usually take your time eating them. If you haven't realized, Scarlett, I know everything about you. Well, pretty much."

I wouldn't say anything, or look him in the eyes. He was right, but I didn't want to have to accept the fact that someone knew me almost as well as I knew myself. That always freaked me out. It meant I wouldn't get away with anything.

"Tell me what's going on."

"I just don't feel good enough to be going to grad school or marrying a pro athlete. I just feel like I should be super smart. Or a barbie."

"When a girl gets married, who is the main person they want to impress when it comes to their fiancé's family?"

"Uh, his mother?" I mean, there is a movie called Monster in Law. It was just kind of known that they are usually evil in some shape or form.

"My mother loves you and probably cares about you more than me. Everyone loves you, Scar. The team? Well they think you're a bitch, but love having you around mainly because you never know what's gonna come out of your mouth. Geno likes having someone to talk to and not worry about messing up. I could go on for hours, I really could." I sighed, as much as I wanted to believe what he told me, I couldn't.

"Okay."

"But you need a nap because we're going to dinner with Beau and Drew and you can't make her cry again." I rolled my eyes and flipped over to my stomach. He lifted up my shirt and started tickling my back, helping me go to sleep.