Chapter Twenty

Hi Patricia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was sitting in the den, binge watching some Grey's Anatomy when Robert walked in and tossed a pair of skates to me, "Put on sweats, we're going to play with some of the guys."

"What?"

"Hockey. We're going to play hockey." He ran to the kitchen to grab a few waters from the fridge.

I looked at the size and they would fit perfectly, but there was just one problem. "I haven't played in years, Robert. It would be a complete shit show."

"You're going to be on the ice with professionals. I think we'll be able to help you."

He pulled me off the couch and grabbed the sweatshirt from behind me. I slipped on a pair of vans and followed him to the car. It had been a while since I was on the ice with a stick in my hands. I wasn't sure how this would go, but I didn't really have a choice.

When we got there, the guys were dressed out in sweats and sweatshirts, just messing around on the rink. I quickly laced up my skates and grabbed the gloves and stick Robert had gotten for me. My skating was still perfect, but of course my stick handling was not the best. I mean there was a reason I was on defense.

We laughed, a lot. Mainly because I couldn't get a puck in an open net to save my life.

"So are we going to scrimmage?" Beau asked as he chewed on his glove. I never understood why people did that.. But I did chew on my stick. Both were equally unsanitary I guess.

"Sure."

Sid and Geno picked teams and even though I hadn't played in a while, I was picked second. Third, overall. Made me feel pretty good about myself.

"Thanks Crosby. Pick my future wife over me." Robert joked. He ended up on Geno's team and I ended up with Sid.

"He wanted you to be with your boyfriend." I laughed, pretty pleased with myself.

"She seems like a fighter. Could be helpful."

"I'll try not to make you cry, babe." I winked and skated over to the other side of the rink, taking my place. I wasn't all that excited to defend muscular men that were over half a foot taller than me.

Beau started messing with me, not even five minutes into our game. After a while I started to get pissed.

"You wanna fight Bennett?"

"Fight a girl? No. Fight you? Sure. You can't reach my face anyways." He laughed, looking around to hopefully see that someone would crack a smile. They all had wide eyes, refusing to so much as tilt up a corner of their mouth.

"I wouldn't have said that if I were you," Robert warned. I dropped my gloves and connected my fist with his jaw.

"I'm not that short you idiot."

"What the fuck Scarlett? That hurt." He rubbed his jaw, making sure it wasn't broken or anything.

"Yeah well," I shrugged, "When you grow up playing with guys, you learn to fight like one. I wouldn't have hit you if you didn't call me short."

Rob skated to my side and draped an arm around my shoulder, "That's my girl."

"Doesn't Vancouver have a girls league? I mean shit. I would've hate you see you across the ice."

"I may or may not have made them cry.."

"You make Sunshine cry." Geno started laughing and soon the rest of his teammates joined him. It took a while, but he finally laughed with them.