Chapter Eleven

A few days after Christmas, Beau started house shopping which meant me and Robert had his place to ourselves. I had my head in his lap, watching a Law and Order rerun. He ran his fingers through my hair as my eyes were threatening to close on me.

I tried concentrating on the show, but all I could think about was how great it was to be with him right now and suddenly, it was hard to breathe.

I love Robert. I love him so much it's absolutely ridiculous. He just deserves someone so much better than me. Half the time I see him, I'm crabby and just want to sleep instead of talk to him. I was that way with a majority of people, though. Rachel and Kenz were trying to plan summer weddings and I wasn't good help at all.

I wasn't depressed, I was actually really happy. I was just stressed and when I'm stressed, all I want to do is sleep.

"We need to talk," I sat up and turned to him. I willed myself not to cry and prayed that my voice would stay strong.

"Okay, what about?"

"I um- you deserve better than me. You deserve someone who will be happy to see you when you come home from a roadctrip. I love you, but I've seen the hockey girlfriends and I'm not one of them." I got up to slip on my boots and jacket. He just looked at me.

"Wha- what are you saying, Scarlett?"

"I'm saying you can do so much better than me," I told him before leaving. I practically ran to my truck, bumping into Beau on the way. I was determined not to cry until neither of them could see me, but I broke down as soon as I got in my vehicle. I can't believe I was doing this.

Robert's POV

I sat there on the couch, stunned. Did she really just break up with me? I turned my attention towards the door when Beau walked in.

"So are you gonna chase after her or nah?"

I shook my head and grabbed a set of keys before driving to Scarlett's place. Beau could be so stupid sometimes. I was still trying to think of the reason behind this by the time I got to her house. I knocked on the door and moments later Scarlett showed up with reds eyes. We stared at each other for a few minutes without saying anything.

"So are you just going to leave every time you're stressed?"

"It's not-"

"Bullshit. Bullshit, Scarlett. Do you even believe what you're saying?" She shook her head, no. The tears dripped from her chin. "Well then why are you doing this?"

"Because I'm not good enough," she cried, "I see the looks I get from girls when we are out. I don't belong with you, Robert."

I ran my fingers through my hair and tugged at the ends. "That is such a lie. Such a fucking lie." I paced around her living room. "I love you, Scarlett. I need you. Why can't you see that? I don't want one of those girls that's jealous of you. I want you. I want that idiot that falls off the table and breaks her arm. The one that looks best in just my t-shirt. The girl that is so honest it hurts. I can't sleep without you, Scarlett."

I stepped towards her and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. She wiped the tears running down her face and looked at the ground. I gently placed my hand under her chin and tilted her head so she would look me in the eyes.

"You are the only person I want to wake up next to."

She nodded, "Okay." She whispered as she wrapped her arms around my midsection. Her hair still smelled of apples from the shower she took this morning.

"Can I have some time alone?" She looked up at me.

"Yeah, of course. Do you want me to bring over dinner?"